Re: Barley Malt

Will Waller <williamwaller@charter.net>
Sat, 25 Oct 2014 12:08:42 -0500
v114.n043.7
It's not hard to malt barley. Get hulled, not pearled, barley (local
coop, Whole Foods etc). Soak in water until you see a germ bump, dry,
grind in spice mill. You need very small amounts so malting 4-5
tablespoons at a time will do and cover several bakes.

An alternative that I use regularly: crack barley (hulled or pearled)
in a spice mill and add to your liquid when you refresh your starter
before mixing dough. Give it an overnight soak.

In general, I find that adding small amounts of cracked grain: rye,
oats, barley, etc to my initial starter refreshment adds vigor and
flavor to the finished bread. Very small quantities work 2-3
tablespoons of cracked grain is sufficient and will not affect the crumb.

Will