spongy bread

Fred Smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 10:24:23 -0500
v115.n005.7
 > --------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v115.n004.9 ---------------
 >
 > From: Marlynn Marcks <marlynnmarcks@gmail.com>
 > Subject: How to make spongy bread
 > Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 12:45:00 -0500
 >

 > How does one make homemade bread spongy.  Mine all taste great but
 > have a crumbly crumb instead of nice soft spongy ones like commercial
 > bread's texture.  What is the secret?
 >
 > Mar

I don't know about "spongy", or as soft as commercial bread, but you
can soften thbe texture by using sonme kind of edible fat in the
bread, in case you don't already. If you do  use fat, you could try a
small increase.

In addition, adding some mashed potato AND the water the potato was
cooked in (as part of the usual amount of liquid) makes a bread most
and tender (and Lovely).

I usually use a small-to- medium-sized potato, peel, pick out bad
spots, cut up into smallish bits, cover with cold water and bring to
a boil, cook for around ten minutes, set pan off the burner to cool
and finish cooking. Once cool enough to work with, puree the potato
by mashing by hand, or as I do, measure the potato and its water, add
more water if need be, to make up the volume of water required, and
puree in a blender and proceed to make bread.

                         The Lord is like a strong tower.