Chinese Milk Bread

Fri, 23 Oct 2015 16:45:18 -0700
v115.n042.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Bread, Chinese Milk

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Asian                           Breads/Muffins/Rolls
                  Low Fat                         Meats
                  Posted

       2/3           cup  heavy cream -- (at room temp)
    1                cup  milk -- (at room temp), plus
    1         tablespoon  milk -- (at room temp)
    1              large  egg -- (at room temp)
       1/3           cup  sugar
       1/2           cup  cake flour
    3 1/2           cups  bread flour
    1         tablespoon  active dry yeast
    1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
                          Egg wash: -- whisk together
    1                     egg -- with
    1           teaspoon  water
                          Simple syrup: -- (optional)
    2          teaspoons  sugar -- dissolved in
    2          teaspoons  hot water

In the bowl of a mixer, add the heavy cream, milk, egg, sugar, cake
flour, bread flour, yeast, and salt. Use the dough hook attachment,
and turn on the mixer to "stir." Let it go for 15 minutes,
occasionally stopping the mixer to push the dough together. If you're
in a humid climate and the dough is too sticky, feel free to add a
little more flour 1/4 cup at a time until it comes together. If you
don't have a mixer and would like to knead by hand, extend the
kneading time by 5-10 minutes.

After 15 minutes of mixing, the dough is ready for proofing. Cover
the bowl with a damp towel and place in a warm spot for 1 hour. I
proofed the dough in my oven (I had the oven on rapid proof for 5
minutes, turned the oven off, and then closed the oven door). The
dough will grow to 1.5X its original size.

In the meantime, grease two baking vessels on all sides with butter.
I used a standard loaf pan and a 9" round cake pan.

After the hour of proofing, put the dough back in the mixer and stir
for another 5 minutes to get rid of air bubbles. Dump the dough on a
lightly floured surface, and cut it in half. I made a loaf with one
half of the dough by cutting it into 3 pieces and placing them in the
loaf pan. With the other half of the dough, I cut it into eight equal
pieces and rolled them with my hands into 8-inch long pieces. Then I
folded each "rope" in half and twisted it 3-4 times. Then, I twisted
the entire piece in on itself to make a knot. There's no strictly
right or wrong way to achieve the knot. Just make sure that the dough
gets twisted in on itself and the you're not pulling ends through the
knot. It's should be round in shape with nothing poking out when
you're done. Once shaped, let the dough proof for another hour.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Brush the risen dough with egg wash. Bake
the loaves for 23-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush the buns
with sugar water to give them a really great shine, sweetness, and color.

Source:
    "/thewoksoflife.com"
S(Internet Address):
    "http://thewoksoflife.com/2015/01/milk-bread-2/";
Start to Finish Time:
    "3:35"
T(Cook Time):
    "0:25"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 283 Calories; 8g Fat (25.1%
calories from fat); 8g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 62mg Cholesterol; 322mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2
Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.