Indian Pav Rolls

Wed, 20 Apr 2016 23:21:20 -0700
v116.n013.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Rolls, Indian Pav

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Bread                           Ethnic
                  Grains                          Hand Made

    3               cups  all-purpose flour
       3/4           cup  chapati flour -- or (atta flour)
    2 1/4            tsp  instant yeast
    1                cup  milk
    1                     egg
    1                tsp  salt
    1               tbsp  sugar
    3               tbsp  butter
    2                tsp  melted butter -- (for brushing on pav before baking)
       1/4           cup  warm water

This recipe is loosely based on
<http://chefinyou.com/2009/12/20/dinner-rolls-recipe/>

Add the yeast and sugar to the warm water and set aside until it
turns bubbly and froths up - about 15 mins or so. If your yeast
mixture doesn't froth up and smell awful, you need to buy new yeast.

Warm the milk and add the butter and egg to it. Beat until combined.
Add salt and the yeast mixture to this.

Add the flour a little at a time to this mixture and mix gently.

Once all the flour has been added, knead gently until the mixture
comes together. I used my stand mixer for this but you can also do
this by hand. Flex those muscles, that's the best part of
bread-making, I am told!

I got a pretty sticky dough at the end of this. If you notice DK's
pics, her dough is very smooth. Either ways, it's going to turn out
fine so don't worry. Transfer this dough to a lightly oiled bowl,
cover with a cloth or cling wrap and set aside to rise.

After about 2 hours, punch it down gently. Pinch off large
tennis-ball-sized balls and place on a greased baking dish, barely
touching each other. Leave some space for the rolls to rise, but not too much.

Set side until doubled in size - about 30 mins to an hour. Brush with
melted butter.

Bake in an oven pre-heated at 350F/180C for about 25 mins. The top
should turn a nice golden brown. My oven has temperature variations
inside so mine have one side slightly more done than the other.
Rotating the pan while baking will help minimize the effect of this.
I am just too lazy to do that, don't be like me.

You can brush some more butter on top when it's fresh out of the oven.

Super soft rolls are ready to be devoured along with your favourite
bhaji (pav bhaji) recipe.

I want to leave you with some stuff I learned while baking pav so you
don't repeat my errors.

I had laid out most of the rolls in a square baking tray. However, I
left too much space between the rolls. After rising, they spread out
too much resulting in flat (although delicious) pav. Don't make that
mistake, ok? Leave not more than 1" max between the rolls before you
let them rise before baking.

Makes 10-12 rolls

S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.cookingandme.com/2012/04/pav-indian-burger-bun-recipe.html";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 198 Calories; 5g Fat (23.1%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
30mg Cholesterol; 231mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.