Pita problems

Sue <sue.interport@rcn.com>
Mon, 8 May 2017 18:45:11 -0400 (EDT)
v117.n019.1
A couple of months ago I made whole wheat pita with a recipe for the
bread machine. They puffed perfectly. Last week I made them again but
this time only one puffed and that was partially.

What is the secret to pitas that puff properly? Hydration of the
dough? Oven temperature? Flour? Rising time? I could experiment but I
don't want to prepare a plethora of poor pitas.

Also, the ones I made the first time (that puffed) were delicious when
hot but the next day were as tough as shoe leather. I know pitas are
chewy but this was ridiculous! Any thoughts on this?

TIA,
Sue