Appalachian Cornbread

Thu, 15 Mar 2018 14:51:36 -0700
v118.n010.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Cornbread, Appalachian

Recipe By     :Anne W
Serving Size  : 9     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Grains                          Hand Made
                 Posted                          Side Dish
                 Snacks                          Stand Mixer
                 Vegetables

   2        tablespoons  chopped onion
   4        tablespoons  canola oil -- divided
   1                cup  all-purpose flour
   1                cup  cornmeal
   2        tablespoons  sugar
   4          teaspoons  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
   2              large  eggs
   1                cup  whole milk
      1/2           cup  fresh or frozen corn -- thawed
      1/3           cup  shredded cheddar cheese
      1/4           cup  salsa
   2        tablespoons  minced chives

On this westernmost ridge of the Appalachians, we get abundant rain
and sunshine, which allows our children to grow a super-sweet corn
crop. With staggered plantings, there is enough to eat from mid-July
through August, plus plenty to freeze for the long winter. This corn
bread is just one way we use some of the bounty!

Preheat oven to 425F. In a small saucepan, saute onion in 1
tablespoon oil until tender; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and
salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and remaining oil. Stir in
corn, cheese, salsa, chives and reserved onion. Stir into the dry
ingredients just until combined.

Transfer to a greased 9" square baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or
until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and top is
lightly browned. Cut into squares; serve warm.

Source:
   "Originally published as Appalachian Corn Bread in Country June/July 2006"
S(Internet address):
   "<https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/appalachian-corn-bread>"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 232 Calories; 10g Fat (38.4%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
55mg Cholesterol; 423mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 0115