How to Cut Yeast Rising Time

Wed, 02 May 2018 15:10:17 -0700
v118.n016.1
I found this at:
<https://www.thespruce.com/quick-tip-cut-yeast-rising-time-1135724>
I found this interesting. Maybe some of you knew about this but I
didn't. Hope it might help you also. It is by Barbara Rolek.

Rising time if often a deterrent to making items that require a yeast
dough, typically 50 to 60 minutes per rise. For a two-rise baked
good, that would mean up to two hours of waiting time. And some
recipes require three rises-- up to a whopping three hours.

While we're all pressed for time, we still want that homemade taste,
especially with baked goods like bread and coffee cakes. You might
fill those two hours by multitasking, but perhaps you want results now.

Microwave Dough:

By using a microwave, you can lop off 1 1/2 hours of rising time for
a food product that requires two (1-hour) rises and 2 1/4 hours for
three rises. With these tips, you can have your cake and eat it, too!

First Rise Before Shaping:

Use the microwave to cut 45 minutes off the first rise of yeast doughs.
<https://www.thespruce.com/russian-basic-sweet-yeast-dough-recipe-1137475>

    * Mix and knead the dough according to the recipe's instructions.
Place the dough in a large, greased microwave-safe bowl. Turn dough
upside down to grease the top. Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
    * Place glass pie pan or other shallow microwave-safe plate in
microwave oven. Pour 1 cup very hot water in pan. Place
plastic-covered bowl with dough in the pan.
    * Cook covered on low (10% power) 10 to 14 minutes or until dough
has doubled. Make sure the microwave is set to low power, otherwise
the dough will cook from the inside out and will never rise. Proceed
to shape the dough as recipe directs unless it requires another rise
before baking (see Optional Third Rise, below).

Second Rise Before Baking:

Use the microwave to cut 45 minutes off the second rise of yeast doughs.
    * After shaping the dough per your recipe directions, place it in
glass loaf pan(s) or on nonmetal baking pan(s) that fit in your microwave
oven.
    * Cook covered loosely with greased plastic wrap on low (10%
power) for 5 minutes. Let stand in microwave 10 to 15 minutes or
until doubled. Proceed to bake the dough as recipe directs.