Flatbreads With Honey, Thyme and Sea Salt

Sun, 13 May 2018 21:44:09 -0700
v118.n017.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                 Flatbreads With Honey, Thyme and Sea Salt

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Side Dish                       Snacks

   1 3/4           cups  all-purpose flour -- (7 3/4 oz or 220 g)
   1           teaspoon  baking powder
      3/4      teaspoon  table salt
      1/2           cup  water -- (118 ml)
      1/3           cup  olive oil -- (79 ml)
      2/3           cup  grated Mahon cheese -- to 3/4 C, See Note
      1/3           cup  honey -- to 1/2C,  (79 to 118 ml)
   1         tablespoon  fresh thyme
                         Flaky sea salt -- such as Maldon

Note: You could try any other aged nutty cow milk cheese instead of
Mahon, or even a hard salty cheese like Romano or Parmesan instead.
Use about 3 oz or 85 g.

Flatbread base adapted from Gourmet; recipe inspired by SalinasNYC.

I ate it hot - promise you'll eat it while it's still hot!

These crackers fit squarely between dinner and dessert. It goes well
with a cheese course - oh, wait, you don't have cheese courses with
each meal at your house? Yeah, us neither, sigh - or at a cocktail
party or maybe as a little summer afternoon something-something with
a glass of wine or even as a dessert for people who do not throw
themselves wholly into sweet things. The crackers play off the nutty
cheese which plays off the slick of honey and faint crunch of sea
salt with bits of thyme throughout and together they are even more
than the sum of their parts. And they take no time to make.

As for the cheese you use, the restaurant uses a Mahon, which I was
able to find, but I daresay you could try any other aged nutty cow
milk cheese instead, or even a hard salty cheese like Romano or
Parmesan instead. Yes, that's a wide range. Mostly, it's about a
flavor you might enjoy here.

Preheat oven to 450F with a heavy baking sheet or pizza stone on a middle rack.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Make
a well in center, then add water and oil andgradually stir into flour
with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Knead dough gently on a work
surface 4 or 5times. It will feel quite oily (but just think of how
great your hands will look later!).

Divide dough into 4 pieces and roll out 1 piece at on a sheet of
parchment paper into a longish irregular rustic shape; mine were
about 12"x6". The dough should be rolled thin and it be crazy oily
and you'll think I've lost my mind suggesting that it will make
anything but a mess, but you'll see in a few minutes how perfectly
ungreasy it bakes up, promise.

Slide rolled out dough and parchment paper together onto the
preheated baking sheet or stone, and bake about 5 minutes, until
lightly golden. Leaving the oven on, remove tray from oven and
quickly sprinkle with 1/4 of grated cheese. Bake an additional 3 to 4
minutes, until browned at edges and in thinner spots. Remove
flatbreads from oven a final time, quickly drizzle each with honey (1
used about a tablespoon per flatbread, but the restaurant used more;
they were truly flooded with honey and it was delicious), sprinkle
with sea salt and garnish with thyme leaves. Cut each cracker
width-wise into 4 sections (about 3"x6" each) with a sharp knife.
Repeat with remaining pieces of dough. Serve warm.

Do ahead: Should you want to prepare these ahead of time for a party,
I'd bake them including the cheese about 1 minute less than needed.
Shortly before you're ready to serve them, re-toast them in the oven
and then drizzle on the honey/thyme/sea salt.

S(Internet address):
   "<https://smittenkitchen.com/2011/07/flatbreads-with-honey-thyme-and-sea-salt/>"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 127 Calories; 6g Fat (39.7%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 3mg Cholesterol; 202mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch);
0 Lean Meat; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 0311