Rhubarb Bread

Sun, 17 Jun 2018 22:32:49 -0700
v118.n023.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                               Bread, Rhubarb

Recipe By     :Karla Sonnenberg
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Posted
                 Side Dish                       Snacks
                 Stand Mixer

                         Bread:
      1/2          cups  brown sugar
      2/3           cup  vegetable oil
   1                     egg
   1                cup  buttermilk
   2 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour
   1           teaspoon  baking soda
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
   1 1/2           cups  diced rhubarb
                         Topping:
      1/2           cup  white sugar
   1         tablespoon  butter
   1           teaspoon  ground cinnamon

Great way to use summer rhubarb.

Beautiful pink rhubarb at the markets signals spring's arrival. A bit
sour on their own, the stalks work beautifully with sweet
strawberries and blueberries, and citrus. This buttery loaf is made
with a bit of orange zest, which perfectly compliments rhubarb's
pleasant tang. Dress the cooled loaf with a simple glaze of
confectioners' sugar and orange juice, if you like, or serve fat
slices with vanilla ice cream. Leftovers are nice toasted in a
skillet with plenty of salty butter.

Note: In the description strawberries are mentioned but not in the
ingredients list. You can add them as one review mentions but it will
take a bit longer to cook.

Prep: 20 min
Cook: 1 hr
Ready In: 1:20

Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Grease a 5x9" loaf pan.

Mix brown sugar, vegetable oil, egg, buttermilk, flour, baking soda,
salt, and rhubarb, in exact order and stirring after each addition,
together in a bowl until batter is just combined; pour into the prepared pan.

Combine white sugar, butter, and cinnamon together in a bowl until
crumbly; lightly press onto batter.

Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center
of the bread comes out clean, about 1 hour.

Per Serving: 395 calories; 16.7 g fat; 57.4 g carbs; 4.9 g protein;
291 mg sodium.

Review: I followed the recipe mostly however I used less sugar; 1/4
cup in the batter and 2 teaspoons sprinkled on top. The bread has a
nice flavor accentuated with the orange zest and was not overly sweet.

Review: I did it. I added those pesky strawberries, and oh my was
that a good choice. Longer to bake, of course (I think an additional
15 or 20 minutes, and I did put foil round the edges so they wouldn't
burn), but so delicious. I didn't reduce any sugar either so it's
pretty luscious.

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/237548/rhubarb-bread/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 340 Calories; 17g Fat (44.0%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
25mg Cholesterol; 281mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 0528