Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread

Mon, 09 Jul 2018 01:45:09 -0700
v118.n025.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                       Bread, Downeast Maine Pumpkin

Recipe By     :Laurie Bennett
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Hand Made
                 Holidays                        Posted
                 Side Dish                       Snacks
                 Stand Mixer

   15                oz  pumpkin puree -- (1 can)
   4                     eggs
   1                cup  vegetable oil
      2/3           cup  water
   3               cups  white sugar
   3 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour
   2          teaspoons  baking soda
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   1           teaspoon  ground cinnamon
   1           teaspoon  ground nutmeg
      1/2      teaspoon  ground cloves
      1/4      teaspoon  ground ginger

This is a great old Maine recipe, moist and spicy. The bread actually
tastes even better the day after it is baked. Great for holiday gift giving!

Prep: 15 min
Cook: 50 min
Ready In: 1:05

Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Grease and flour three 7x3" loaf pans.

In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and
sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the
flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir
the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour
into the prepared pans.

Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when
toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Info: Cal 253, Fat 10g, Carb 41g, Sod 305mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Review: Out of this recipe, I ended up making a dozen Pumpkin muffins
and a Pumpkin loaf as well. It is simply scrumptious!! I read all the
reviews and took all the suggestions that were offered that were
similar. Below is how I ended up re-writing the recipe - it turned
out moist, spicy, and DELICIOUS!! My family has already asked me to
make this at Christmas!!

  15 Oz Can Pumpkin;
  4 Eggs;
  1/2 Cup Veg. Oil;
  1/2 Cup Applesauce (I used sweetened);
  2 Cups Sugar;
  3 1/2 Cups Flour;
  2 Tsp. Baking Soda;
  1 1/2 Tsp Salt;
  1 Tsp. Cinnamon;
  Splash of Vanilla;
  1/4 Tsp Pumpkin Spice;
  1 Cup Walnuts;
  1/2 Cup Raisins;
  1 Tsp Nutmeg;
  1/2 Tsp Cloves;
  1/4 Tsp Ground Ginger;

  Blended and cooked as described in original recipe.. Both placed in
the oven at the same time, the Muffins were done in 40 minutes and
Bread was done in 1 hr 10 minutes.

  While on Cooling rack, poked holes in top of muffins and bread, and
poured seperate hot Cinnamon Sugar Butter combo over holes, allowing
it to seep down inside. Yummmmmmmmy! Will make again and again!
Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Review: Best pumpkin bread I ever had! Full of flavor and moist.
Freezes well. I did, however alter it slightly.  Reduced oil to 1/2
cup, adding 1/2 cup applesauce; reduced suger to 2 cups, added 1/2 cup
raisens; increased ginger to 1/2 ts and added 1 cup chopped nuts.

Review: This is the best recipe for Pumpkin Bread! I always make a
double recipe to give as gifts. Buy the 29 oz. can and double all the
other ingredients (using 2 bowls is easiest). I've tried it several
different ways and this is my favorite: for a SINGLE recipe, use 2 c
white sugar and 1 cup brown, 1/2 cup oil and 1 stick unsalted butter
that has been melted and cooled. I tried it with vanilla extract but
thought this made it too rich. Also, it will take more than an hour
to cook. I rely on the toothpick test rather than time to determine
doneness. But toward the end, watch it because the top will start to
burn. Everyone loves this! Even my picky 1 year old gobbles it up!

Review: Wow!! After I tested around to make it healthier, I found the
perfect healthy, moist, pumpkin recipe that's low in fact and
cholesterol free! Here are the changes for the perfect healthy
pumpkin bread: 1. Use fresh pumpkin or even one large sweet
potato---fresh is best. 2. Use 2.5 c whole wheat flour, 1/2 c. flax
flour, and 1/2 c whole oats. You can make whatever combination of
whole grain flour you have or would prefer---it works fine in many
ways. 3. Use 2 cups light brown sugar---it's plenty sweet enough. 4.
Use 6 egg whites instead of 4 eggs. 5. Replace 1/2 c oil with
applesauce. 6. Add a handful of chopped walnuts and a splash of
vanilla. This bread is DELICIOUS and sooo good....everyone who had it
was like "oh god!!" and just groaning with pleasure (i am not even
exaggerating)...enjoy this healthy but still very tasty version!

Review: I can't even begin to describe this wonderful, cozy,
comforting bread! There are no words! I made exactly as stated and it
was perfect!! End of story, no substitutions needed. My loaf pans
were a little bigger, so I only got 2 loaves, but that's okay. I
baked for the 50 minutes called for and it wasn't quite done (which
is fine) so I covered it them w/ foil and continued baking for
another 15 minutes. Perfect!! It's like pumpkin pie for breakfast!
EDIT!! I did an experimaent (posted in my pics) using Pam for baking
to grease & flour my pyrex loaf pan and then the old fashioned method
of using crisco (shortening) and dusting the pan w/ flour. The pan
done the old fashioned way baked up much better, smooother top and
less dark. I explained more in my photos. Thought this may help! :)

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/6820/downeast-maine-pumpkin-bread/";
Yield:
   "2 loaves"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 263 Calories; 10g Fat (34.4%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
35mg Cholesterol; 252mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 0701