cheese biscuit recipe

Joan Ross <butterflyflour@gmail.com>
Mon, 6 Aug 2018 15:52:13 -0400
v118.n030.1
CHEESE BISCUITS
Adapted from the Kounty Quarthouse restaurant from Diners, Drive ins
and Dives. Recipe found on the Food Network.

These biscuits are baked in a biscuit pan shown on the show, brushed with
butter and cut out while hot and may be sliced in half when cool and
filled with brisket.

8 x 10 biscuit pan which I used
Oven 375F, middle rack

3 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 sticks cold butter
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

I used taco cheese, a mix of finely shredded cheddar, jack cheeses
and spiced taco cheese.

I had no buttermilk but substituted with 1 cup sour cream thinned
with 1/2 cup milk and 1 Tbs lemon juice and stirred well.

Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda together.

Cut up butter in small pieces or freeze and grate then cut into
flour mixture, combine it quickly to coarse crumbs texture.

Stir in the cheese and add enough liquid (my note, use a large fork)
to form a very moist dough that comes together. Do not knead!

With hands pat evenly into pan, I wet my hands to do this since dough
is sticky. Brush with melted butter. Bake 375F about 30 minutes or
until golden and tested done in center with toothpick.

Brush again with some melted butter and cut into squares with sharp knife.
Serve immediately  or let cool a bit and slice each biscuit in half to
make a filled sandwich.

Yield: 12

These are the most tender and fluffy biscuits I had ever made.
I love the idea that they are baked in a pan and then cut right from the pan.
Wonderful as is without the brisket!
I surmise one can add some sugar to the recipe and even with the cheese
wonderful for peach or nectarine shortcake!