Whole-Wheat English Muffins

Sun, 12 Aug 2018 22:14:11 -0700
v118.n030.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Muffins, Whole-Wheat English

Recipe By     :Melissa Clark
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones/Muffins         Grains
                 Posted                          Side Dish
                 Want to try

   2          teaspoons  active dry yeast -- (1 packet) (7g)
   4        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- (60g)
      1/2           cup  plain yogurt -- (120 ml)
      1/2           cup  warm whole milk -- (120 ml)
      1/2    tablespoon  honey -- (7 ml)
   1           teaspoon  fine sea salt -- (5g)
   1                cup  whole-wheat flour -- (125g)
   1                cup  all-purpose flour -- (125g)
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda -- (4g)
                         Cornmeal -- preferably coarse, as needed

Yes, it is worth your while to make English muffins from scratch. Not
only is the texture lighter and crisper, homemade muffins taste
better, too - yeasty, wheaty, complex. You will need to sear these
muffins on the stove top before baking. That's what gives them their
unique crunch on their bottoms. This recipe does not require muffin
rings, but if you have them and would like to use them, go right
ahead. Just add a few minutes onto the baking time to accommodate the
muffins' increased thickness. Then fork-split them, toast and serve
with plenty of butter. After all, that's what those crevices are made for.

TIME: 35 minutes, plus 1 to 1 1/2 hours rising

In a small bowl combine yeast and 1/3 cup warm water (80 milliliters)
and let rest until yeast has dissolved, about 5 minutes.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter and put it in a large bowl. Whisk in
yogurt, milk, honey, salt and the yeast mixture.

Add flours and baking soda to bowl and beat thoroughly with a spoon
or rubber spatula until well combined. Cover bowl and let rest in a
warm spot for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until dough has doubled.

Heat oven 350F. Lightly dust a small baking sheet with cornmeal.

Place a large skillet over medium heat and melt 1 tablespoon butter.
Using a large ice cream scoop or 1/2 cup measuring cup, drop batter
into skillet to form round muffins about 4" in diameter, mounding the
batter in the center. (You may need to coax the dough a little with
your fingers, so be careful of the hot pan, and don't worry if
they're not perfectly circular.) Repeat until you have 3 muffins,
leaving the rest of the batter for a second batch. Reduce heat to
low. Cover skillet with lid or baking sheet and cook 3 to 5 minutes,
until bottoms are golden brown. (Be careful not to let them burn.)

Uncover skillet and flip muffins using a spatula. Cover again and
cook 2 to 4 minutes or until the other sides are golden brown. Place
muffins on prepared baking sheet. Repeat using remaining batter and
another tablespoon of butter.

Bake muffins for 6 to 9 minutes, or until puffed and cooked through.
Split the muffins with a fork and toast before eating.

Note: Makes 8 large muffins. You can easily make them smaller and make 8 or 9.

Reviewer 1: Made a double batch. I used 3 teaspoons of yeast and
little extra honey, the rest of the ingredients were doubled. They
came out great. very flavorful with lots of nooks and crannies. I
made them a little smaller, used a mounded quarter cup scoop.

Reviewer 2: Greek yogurt works just fine. So does buttermilk.

Reviewer 3: These really were delicious. The dough the 1st time I
made them was a little more dense than I had anticipated but since
using kitchen scale for the ingredients is comes out more the way I
expected. Truth of the matter is that either way this recipe makes
great english muffinsâ?¦.almost too good.

Reviewer 4: I have mine in the freezer in a ziploc bag, and they have
reheated very well in the oven! I didn't split them before freezing.

Source:
   "Featured in: Three Recipes To Savor To The Last Crumb"
S(Internet address):
   "https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016274-whole-wheat-english-muffins";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 246 Calories; 10g Fat (34.5%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
26mg Cholesterol; 441mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 0518