No-Time Bread, revised

Jeff Dwork <jeff@jeff-and-reggie.com>
Sun, 16 Sep 2018 20:07:32 -0700
v118.n036.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Bread, No-Time 2

Recipe By     :Faith Durand
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fatfree                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   4 1/2      teaspoons  active dry yeast -- (2 packets)
   1         tablespoon  sugar
   1 1/2           cups  water -- about 90F
   240            grams  bread flour -- see directions, divided
   240            grams  whole wheat flour -- see directions, divided
   1 1/4      teaspoons  salt
      3/4      teaspoon  apple cider vinegar -- see directions

This bread is very good. The original recipe was posted in
Bread-Bakers on 15 Dec 2017, v117.n049.4. The author's website has a video.

The original recipe called for 3 1/2 cups bread flour, which is 420 g
by my measurements. This was too little flour - the dough could not
hold its shape. Using 480 g (3 7/8 cups) total flour yielded a dough
that held its shape until the final rise. I had to pour the dough
into the hot pot. This recipe works equally well with all white
flour. Expect a fairly dense loaf. Whisk the two flours together and
separate out about 15% to add after the first mixing. I mixed the
dough for 3 minutes with the paddle (recipe calls for "several minutes").

The original recipe calls for balsamic vinegar. The balsamic vinegar
I had on hand didn't do anything. I switched to apple cider vinegar,
which gave a bit of a taste.

I baked in a covered cast-iron pot at 440F in a well-sealed electric
oven with very good temperature control. Baking at 450F made the
bottom crust too tough. It was done after 30 minutes, internal temp
200F. A more variable oven may require the higher temp and longer time.

Original recipe follows:

Bake this loaf in a covered pan, it helps the dough spring to life
under its own moisture and develop that wonderful crackly crust and
tender interior. You can also make this in a Dutch oven or
alternative. The dough is not quite as wet, so it has a finer crumb
compared to the rustic wide holes of a wetter dough. We use a little
trick from Shirley Corriher, who adds a touch of vinegar to quicker
yeast doughs. This simulates a little of the flavor you get in
long-rise doughs. It's also incredibly moist and tender, with that
homemade yeasty comfort, just slightly sweet from the sugar that is
added to get the yeast working quickly.

In the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer put the yeast, sugar, and
water and let it sit.

Heat the oven to 450F. Put a Dutch oven (or one of these
alternatives) in to warm as the oven heats. Get out your flour, salt,
vinegar, spray oil, and anything else you need.

Now that the yeast has had a few minutes to bubble up, add 3 cups of
the flour as well as the salt and vinegar and beat for several
minutes with the paddle. Add the last 1/2 cup of flour and switch to
the dough hook and beat for seven minutes. Alternately, knead
vigorously for five minutes, or until the dough becomes extremely
elastic. This will still be a wet dough, but not goopy. The dough
will clear the sides of the bowl but still stick to the bottom.

Lightly grease a microwave-safe bowl with vegetable oil and transfer
the bread dough to it, rolling it in the oil. Cover the bowl with a
very wet towel. Cover the whole thing with a dry towel and put in the
microwave. Microwave on HIGH for 25 seconds.

Let rest in the microwave for about five minutes.

Microwave on HIGH for another 25 seconds, then remove.

Let rest and rise for another 15 minutes.

Shape into a ball and plop into the preheated pan. Quickly slash the
top with a knife. Cover and bake for about 30 minutes, then remove
the cover and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the crust is
golden brown and the internal temperature hits 210F.

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.thekitchn.com/easier-no-knead-bread-in-a-hurry-40653";
Yield:
   "1 loaf"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 178 Calories; 1g Fat (4.6%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 270mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 0916