Indian Bhatur Bread

Sat, 10 Nov 2018 20:46:08 -0800
v118.n044.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Bread, Indian Bhatur

Recipe By     :Tisa Jacob
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Ethnic                          Fatfree
                 Posted

   2               cups  all-purpose flour
      1/4           tsp  baking powder
   1                tsp  salt
      1/2           tsp  sugar
   3             medium  potatoes -- boiled, drained and mashed
      1/4           cup  yogurt
   1                tsp  oil
                         canola oil -- or peanut oil or enough for deep frying

India

Bhatura, a crispy-soft, deep fried bread that is a light golden,
oversized dough puff, usually paired with the spicy, slightly tangy
curry. Bhatura is made from a yeasty dough, using either yeast or
combinations of baking soda, baking powder. Here I've used boiled
potatoes, mashed with a smidge of a teaspoon of baking powder to
achieve a similar conclusion. The result is a wonderfully delectable
pairing adapted from the popular Punjabi dish.

Sift and mix your flour, baking powder and salt, sugar.

Add in the potatoes to the dry mixture, mix well with your hands.

Combine yogurt, 1 tsp oil and incorporate all ingredients.

Either with your hands or with a food processor (what I use) start
kneading the dough.

Knead until you get a smooth dough ball.

Keep the dough covered and aside for at least 45 minutes.

Divide the dough and roll into individual 1" balls.

Using a rolling pin, roll out each ball into a circle of about 5"
diameter and 1/4" width. Keep aside.

Heat oil.

Add your bhaturas one by one, and deep fry on moderate heat until
golden brown on each side.

Makes about 20 bhaturas.

Note:
Peanut, sunflower, canola are good oils for deep frying as they have
high smoke points.
If using a deep fry thermometer, the oil temperature should register
between 350- 365F.

  While kneading for bhatura, add warm water by tablespoons if the
dough does not pull into a smooth ball.

When I'm pressed for time I actually cook the potatoes in the
microwave. I then peel the skins off and mash them to add into the flour mix.

S(Internet Address):
   http://blessingsfrommykitchen.blogspot.com/2012/02/bhatura-and-chana-masala-curry.html

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 64 Calories; trace Fat (6.6%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
trace Cholesterol; 115mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0
Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2016 - 0523