Traditional Irish Brown Soda Bread - Vegan Style

Sun, 25 Nov 2018 21:14:26 -0800
v118.n046.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

          Bread, Traditional Irish Brown Soda Bread - Vegan Style

Recipe By     :Emily Dreeling
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer                     Vegetarian

   1 3/4            cup  whole wheat flour
   1 3/4            cup  white whole wheat flour
   1                tsp  salt
   1                tsp  baking soda
   2               Tbsp  unsweetened applesauce
   1               Tbsp  flaxseed meal
      1/4           cup  water -- +
   3               Tbsp  water
   1                cup  unsweetened plain soy milk
   1                     lemon
   1                tsp  cornstarch

A couple of months into my plant-based journey, I began to miss my
little Sunday ritual of making my Irish grandmother's traditional
Brown Soda Bread. It's so simple and satisfying to make, that after
trying, and spectacularly failing to find an equally delicious
alternative, I decided to come up with my own vegan version of it.
And although it's taken a good few weeks of fine-tuning, I think I've
finally cracked it. Not wanting to stray from the original recipe too
much, I substituted only what was absolutely necessary in order to
keep the taste as authentic as possible. I'm super happy, and proud,
of the outcome, as I know my grandmother would not only give me her
seal of approval but also join me in having a nice oven-warm slice
together with a delightfully strong cup of black tea! It's a truly
wonderful bread, that can be enjoyed with sweet or savory toppings,
or even just plain, being perfect to dip in any kind of vegetable soup or stew.

Preheat oven to 425F.

Mix the ground flaxseed together with 3 Tbsp water in a bowl and
leave to stand for about 10 minutes.

Pour the soy milk into a separate bowl and add the juice of the
squeezed lemon. Let it stand for about 15 minutes - once it thickens
and curdles, it's ready for use.

Sift both flours together and add to another bowl.

Add the salt and baking soda.

Add the applesauce, quickly kneading it into the flour with your
fingertips until you reach a breadcrumb-like texture.

Add the flaxseed mixture, also working it in with your fingertips.

Make a well in the center, pouring in about 3/4 cup of the soy milk mixture.

Bring the dry and wet ingredients together, using your hand like a
mixer to bind each together into a ball.

Dough should be soft, but not too sticky. Add more liquid as needed -
usually only about 1 cup overall is required, but you will know by
its feel/consistency if a little extra should be used.

Turn out onto a floured surface, and then flatten out into circular
shape approximately 1 1/2" deep.

Place on a parchment-lined baking tray.

Boil cornstarch and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan until clear.

Cut a cross on the top, and then brush on the cornstarch glaze.

Bake in the oven for 15 mins at 425F, then turn down to 375F and cook
for a further 25 minutes.

To check if cooked, insert a clean knife into the loaf and see if it
comes out clean, OR, if you tap the base, it should sound hollow.

Remove, and cool on a wire rack.

S(Internet address):
   "https://nutritionstudies.org/recipes/sides/traditional-irish-brown-soda-bread-vegan-style/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 132 Calories; 1g Fat (8.4%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 287mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 1119