Tip to work in extra flour

"Michele Kreitman" <michelekreitman@gmail.com>
Tue, 11 Dec 2018 08:48:20 -0500
v118.n049.8
First, thanks to Reggie and Jeff for maintaining this list.  It's
definitely one of my favorite emails to receive each week.  Jerusalem
bagels are on my make very soon list.  Now my tip I wanted to pass
along..

If you ever added too much flour to your work bowl you know how
difficult it can be to work that in with little drizzles of water.  As
I've been trying to learn about making pie dough, one tip I saw was to
use a spray bottle with water to help hydrate the extra dry bits
without adding too much water to the pie dough.  This seems to work
pretty well for pie dough so I thought I'd try the same thing the next
time I accidentally added too much flour to my bread recipe (which
still somehow happens even while measuring with a scale).  It worked
very well for me and avoided little puddles of water on the counter
that didn't seem to want to work into the larger dough ball I was
kneading.  You just mist over the extra flour, roll the dough ball
through it and keep kneading and it will incorporate.  Even spritz the
dough ball a few times if you need to.  This also works really well
when the recipe says cover with a damp towel.  Spritz the dough, lay
the towel, then spritz the top of the towel - done.  A simply spray
bottle from the dollar store filled with water now sits in my pantry
next to the flour as one of my important bread baking tools.

Hopefully others will find this tip helpful when they find themselves
with too much flour someday.  Happy Baking!