Easiest-Ever Biscuits

Sat, 19 Jan 2019 19:44:58 -0800
v119.n003.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Biscuits, Easiest-Ever

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted                          Side Dish

   3               cups  all-purpose flour -- (15 ozs)
   4          teaspoons  sugar
   1         tablespoon  baking powder
      1/4      teaspoon  baking soda
   1 1/4      teaspoons  salt
   2               cups  heavy cream
   2        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- melted, optional

We wanted to combine the ease of cream biscuits (which eliminate the
step of cutting cold fat into dry ingredients) with the ease of drop
biscuits (which skip the rolling and cutting) to create the easiest
biscuits ever. But the most obvious solution - increasing the amount
of cream in a cream biscuit recipe until the dough had a droppable
consistency - produced biscuits that spread too much and were greasy.
Instead of increasing the amount of cream, we found a way to increase
its fluidity: We heated it to between 95 and 100F, which melted the
solid particles of butterfat dispersed throughout. This made a dough
that was moister and scoopable but that rose up instead of spreading
out in the oven, producing biscuits that were appropriately rich and
tender but not greasy.

These biscuits come together very quickly, so in the interest of
efficiency, start heating your oven before gathering your
ingredients. We like these biscuits brushed with a bit of melted
butter, but you can skip that step if you're serving the biscuits
with a rich accompaniment such as sausage gravy.

Total Time: 40 minutes

Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450F. Line
rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In medium bowl, whisk
together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Microwave cream until just warmed to body temperature (95 to 100F),
60 to 90 seconds, stirring halfway through microwaving. Stir cream
into flour mixture until soft, uniform dough forms.

Spray 1/3C dry measuring cup with vegetable oil spray. Drop level
scoops of batter 2" apart on prepared sheet (biscuits should measure
about 2 1/2" wide and 1 1/4" tall). Respray measuring cup after every
3 or 4 scoops. If portions are misshapen, use your fingertips to
gently reshape dough into level cylinders. Bake until tops are light
golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through
baking. Brush hot biscuits with melted butter, if using. Serve warm.
(Biscuits can be stored in zipper-lock bag at room temperature for up
to 24 hours. Reheat biscuits in 300-degree oven for 10 minutes.)

Tip Keep the Scoop Slick: To ensure that the dough releases easily
from the measuring cup, we spray it with vegetable oil spray after
every three or four scoops.

Review: So clever! I was slightly skeptical about using only heated
cream for both the liquid and the fat component. However, it works
and works well! These biscuits were tender, delicious, and so easy.
They are almost fool proof. Also, they reheat beautifully. This will
be my go-to biscuit recipe from now on. Thank you ATK!

Review: I just made these, and ATK did not disappoint. They were the
easiest biscuits ever and I think the best I've ever had. They were
so tender and rich. Sooooo Good!!

Review:  If I were adding herbs, I'd add them to the dry ingredients.
And if I were adding cheese, I'd go for a dry, super-flavorful cheese
like Parmesan because you won't have to add more than an ounce to
make a flavor impact. If you use a wetter cheese, like cheddar or
jack, you'll have to add quite a bit in order to taste it, and these
biscuits are already very rich.

Question: Could you pre-mix the dry ingredients and keep on hand in
bags? Or would that cause problems with the leaveners?

Response: That would be fine. Just make sure you preheat your oven,
because they'll come together in no time at all,

Review: I can't believe how awesome these biscuits are for so little
effort. Mix basic pantry dry ingredients, Heat up cream for 60 to 90
seconds, stir, scoop & bake. So delicious! I baked for 14 to 15 mins.
They scream for breakfast or a Southern-style main dish.

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/11334-easiest-ever-biscuits";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 328 Calories; 20g Fat (55.3%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
71mg Cholesterol; 463mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0
Non-Fat Milk; 4 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0119