Ridiculously Easy Seeded Focaccia Bread

Sun, 27 Jan 2019 23:07:51 -0800
v119.n005.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                  Bread, Ridiculously Easy Seeded Focaccia

Recipe By     :Chris Scheuer
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Italian                         Low Fat

                         For the seed mixture:
   16                 g  pepitas -- (1/4C)
   14 3/4             g  white sesame seeds -- (1T)
   14 3/4             g  black sesame seeds -- (1T)
   29 5/8             g  flax seed -- also called linseed, (2T)
   14 3/4             g  poppy seeds -- (1T)
                         For the bread:
   375                g  all-purpose flour -- (3C)
   120                g  white whole wheat flour -- (1C)
   2          teaspoons  kosher salt
   2 1/4      teaspoons  instant yeast -- (1 packet)
   500               ml  hot tap water -- (2C)
   4 7/8              g  butter -- for greasing pans, (1t)
   59 1/8            ml  olive oil -- divided, (4T)

Loaded with healthy seeds and a generous scoop of whole wheat flour,
this ridiculously easy, one-bowl, no-knead Seeded Focaccia Bread is
also ridiculously delicious!

Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 24 mins
Total: 39 mins

For the seed mixture, combine all seeds in a small bowl and stir well
to combine. Set aside.

In a medium-large bowl, combine both flours, salt, instant yeast and
1/4 cup of the seed mixture. Stir well. Add the warm water. Using a
Danish whisk, sturdy wooden spoon or sturdy rubber spatula, mix until
all of the flour is incorporated and dough forms a ball. Scoot the
dough over to one side of the bowl and drizzle a little olive oil
into the bottom of the bowl. Turn the dough over in the bowl to coat
thinly with oil.

Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8
hours and up to 24 hours.

Lightly butter two 8" cake pans. (You could also use 9" pans if you
like a thinner, crispier bread.) Line pans with parchment paper. Pour
one tablespoon of olive oil into the center of each pan and rub with
your fingers to coat the bottom of the pan.

Divide dough in half with a large spoon or rubber spatula and place
one piece of dough in each pan, turning to coat with oil. Tuck edges
of dough underneath to form a rough ball. Cover each pan tightly with
plastic wrap and allow the dough balls to rest for 2 hours or until
the dough almost covers the bottom of the pans.

Drizzle another tablespoon of oil over each round of dough. With
oiled fingers, using both hands, press straight down and create deep
dimples that go all the way through the dough (in other words, you'll
actually be making deep holes.) If necessary, gently stretch the
dough as you dimple to allow the dough to fill the pan. Sprinkle the
remaining seeds over the tops of the dough in the two pans. Sprinkle
each pan generously with flaky sea salt.

Cover with a clean towel and allow pans to rest on the stovetop while
the oven is preheating.

Preheat oven to 450F. After dough has rested for 30 minutes, transfer
the pans to the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 425F.
Bake for 18 to 24 minutes, until the tops are golden and the
undersides are crisp. Remove pans from the oven. With a metal spatula
remove bread rounds from the pans and transfer to a cooling rack.
Serve warm or allow to cool completely then store in a zippered bag.
Freeze: To freeze, allow bread to cool completely, then transfer to a
ziplock bag and freeze. Thaw and enjoy at room temperature or warm
for 10 minutes in a 350F oven.

Cal 113, Fat 3g, Carb 16g, Sod 196mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Question: Trying this recipe for the first time. Is this a really wet
dough? I added 1/4 cup flour as it seemed excessively wet. It still
seems more like a thick batter than a dough. I'm accustomed to making
"no knead" on a daily basis for my catering company and that is also
a fairly loose dough. Just thought I'd check in.

Response:  It is a wet dough. Don't add more flour. I know it's
different than most bread, even other no-knead recipes - but it works
so well!! I think the wet dough is what helps ensure the classic
Italian texture with the nice big holes!

Question: Getting back to you're: Yes, I had added 1/4 cup flour to
the what I perceived to be an extremely wet dough. As you said, it
wasn't needed. The bread baked up wonderfully. Even after a 30-hour
proof. Baked 1/2 of the batch in a 10" cast iron skillet. The loaf
was a bit thinner, but I enjoyed the chewy texture of this loaf more
than the loaf in the 8" cake pan. Drizzled more olive oil during
the dimpling process. This is an easy and very flavorful bread to
make. I highly recommend it! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Response: Thanks so much, Annamarie, for sharing your results! So
happy you enjoyed it! Like you, I find this bread to be very
forgiving regarding rising time and the size of the pans can be
varied, depending on how thin or thick you like your focaccia.

Review: What a delicious treat Chris! I've never had a focaccia with
seeds before - love the idea! Easy works for me too.

Question: Can I half the recipe?

Response: You could definitely half the recipe although this bread
does freeze really nicely and it's wonderful to have a loaf stashed
in the freezer! Enjoy!!

Source:
   "adapted from Alexandra Cooks"
S(Internet address):
   "https://thecafesucrefarine.com/easy-seeded-focaccia/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 116 Calories; 4g Fat (32.9%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
trace Cholesterol; 160mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1 Fat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0127