Scones, Sour Cream Lemon

Tue, 29 Jan 2019 19:47:30 -0800
v119.n005.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                  Scones, Sour Cream Lemon

Recipe By     :Barry C. Parsons
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Food Processor                  Low Fat
                 Posted

   2               cups  all-purpose flour
      1/4           cup  sugar
   4                tsp  baking powder
      1/4           tsp  baking soda
      1/4           cup  very cold butter -- +
   1               tbsp  very cold butter
      1/2           cup  sour cream
      1/2           cup  milk
   1                tsp  vanilla extract
   1               tbsp  water
   1                     egg
                         turbinado sugar -- few tbsp, optional
   1               tbsp  lemon zest -- finely minced
                         pinch salt

Beautifully light and tender little lemon scones that go together
particularly well with wild blueberry jam. Perfect for weekend brunch
or morning coffee.

Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 18 mins
Total: 28 mins

Preheat oven to 400F.

In a food processor, blend together the flour, sugar, baking powder,
baking soda and lemon zest.

Pulse in the butter.

Do not over incorporate the butter into the flour. Similar to making
a flaky pastry, small pieces of butter should be visible in the flour.

Transfer this mixture from the food processor into a large mixing
bowl and make a well in the center.

Mix together the sour cream, milk and vanilla. Pour into the well.

Working very quickly with a wooden spoon, fold the dry mixture
through the milk and sour cream mixture, only until the flour
disappears, then stop immediately.

Drop the sticky dough onto a well floured counter top or bread board.
Sprinkle the top of the dough with additional flour as well as
flouring your hands to handle the dough. I don't even use a rolling
pin for these biscuits, the dough is soft enough to pat it out gently
with floured hands to a thickness of about 3/4".

Using a small biscuit cutter cut the biscuits out an place them, 1
1/2" apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. I recommend an
aluminum baking sheet because it tolerates the higher oven
temperature without burning the bottom of the biscuits.

Whisk together the water and egg and brush lightly over the top of
the biscuits. You will only need a little of the egg wash mixture.

Sprinkle with some turbinado sugar if desired.

Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Cool on
a wire rack.

Question: Do you use egg, milk and sour cream cold out of the fridge
or at room temperature in this recipe?
Reply: I do use the ingredients straight from the fridge. Cold
ingredients generally make for an easier to handle dough.

Question: How big should the biscuits be when you cut them? I don't
have any biscuit cutters so I'm curious if I can use something else
around the house insteadâ?¦ or what size of cutter I should buy.
Reply: Any size you like really but these are intentionally small and
dainty. I recommend you but a set of biscuit cutters.

Reggie's reply: A small biscuit cutter is usually 1 1/2" in
diameter. You could use a shot glass as a biscuit cutter.

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.rockrecipes.com/best-scone-recipes/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 102 Calories; 5g Fat (41.2%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 22mg Cholesterol; 152mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch);
0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0129