Mom's Italian Bread

Sat, 09 Feb 2019 19:53:20 -0800
v119.n006.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Bread, Mom's Italian

Recipe By     :Linda Harrington
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fatfree                         Posted

   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1/4 oz)
   2               cups  warm water -- (110 to 115F)
   1           teaspoon  sugar
   2          teaspoons  salt
   5 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour

I think Mom used to bake at least four of these tender loaves at
once, and they never lasted long. She served the bread with every
Italian meal. I love it toasted, too.

Prep: 30 min. + rising
Bake: 20 min. + cooling

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt
and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in
remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6
to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Shape
each portion into a loaf. Place each loaf seam side down on a greased
baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400F. With a sharp knife, make four
shallow slashes across top of each loaf. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or
until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

Test Kitchen Tip; To ensure a light texture be sure to take the time
to knead well. After kneading the first few minutes, press your thumb
into the dough. If the indent stays, you're done. If not, knead a few
more minutes.

Cal 106, Carb 22g, Sod 197mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Review: Great, easy recipe. The bread is delicious, and it browned
very nicely. Nice crisp crust and soft chewy interior. The only
change I did was to bake it in a pre-heated covered cast iron dutch
oven. I baked it for 20 minutes at 450 degrees with cover on, then
uncovered and baked an additional ten minutes. Internal temperature
of the loaf was 195 degrees when removed from the oven.

Review: I've added Parmesan cheese and garlic powder to this to make
it a great addition to spaghetti night. It stays nicely moist as well.

Review: I made this bread exactly as listed. Oh my. Perfection isn't
even a big enough word for how excited my family was over this loaf!
And the toast! THE TOAST! It was crispy and perfect! Made this dough
two more times in succession and will be making it again later
tonight due to family demand!

Review: I've made this recipe dozens of times!! Sometimes I put 2
cups of whole wheat flour in just to mix it up a bit. I've never had
a fail and my family always asks for this bread if I ask them for
requests. I do find that I add different amounts of flour depending
on the weather so I'm careful when adding in the last 2.5 cups of
flour. Normally I can stop at 2 cups and the dough is beautiful.
Thanks for this great recipe.

Review: This has become my go-to bread recipe. I've made the dough
the traditional way and with my bread machine on dough setting. It
comes out perfect every time! I always get compliments when I make it
with dinner and I've shared the recipe with a few friends. Absolutely the BEST!

Review: I have had such trouble with bread recipes and finding one
that was just right. I am done searching. This is the best bread I've
ever made and it was so simple. My husband agreed that it was the
best I've made to date. It wasn't too dense or too airy. It stayed
soft. It had a nice crust. It tasted absolutely incredible and my
house smelled amazing!

Source:
   "Originally published as Mom's Italian Bread in Taste of Home
December/January 2010"
S(Internet address):
   "https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mom-s-italian-bread/";
Yield:
   "2 loaves"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 106 Calories; trace Fat (2.6%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 179mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0209