Quick and Easy Bread Bowls

Sat, 16 Feb 2019 20:39:04 -0800
v119.n007.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Bread Bowls, Quick and Easy

Recipe By     :Rachel Heidenreich
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   2        tablespoons  active dry yeast
   3               cups  warm water -- (110 to 115F)
   2        tablespoons  sugar
   2          teaspoons  salt
   6 1/2           cups  bread flour -- to 7 1/2C
                         Cornmeal and sesame seeds -- optional

Impress all of your friends by serving cream soups or dips with this
bread bowl recipes.

Prep: 35 min. + rising
Bake: 20 min.+ cooling
Serving Size: 1

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl,
combine sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium
speed 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough
(dough will be sticky).

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8
minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.
Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until
doubled, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 500F. Punch dough down. Divide and shape into six
balls. Place 3" apart on two baking sheets that have been generously
sprinkled with cornmeal or greased. Cover with a kitchen towel; let
rise in a warm place until doubled, about 15 minutes. Spray loaves
with water; if desired, generously sprinkle with sesame seeds. Using
a sharp knife score surface with shallow cuts in an X pattern. Bake 2
minutes. Reduce oven setting to 425F. Bake until golden brown and
internal temperature reaches 190-200F. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

Cut a thin slice off the top of bread. Hollow out bottom portion of
loaf, leaving a 1/4" shell (discard removed bread or save for another
use, such as croutons).

Test Kitchen Tips: To approximate that crackling crust you find on
fancy artisanal breads, get steamy. A quick spritz of water into the
oven or a light mist sprayed directly on the loaf right before baking
should do the trick.
Scoring the exterior of bread creates weak points that help prevent
it from bursting and directs expansion to shape the loaf. And, hey,
it looks really pretty to boot!

Cal 283, Fat 1g, Carb 57g, Sod 396mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 10g

Review: My husband made these and we used them for TOH's Chessy
broccoli soup in a bread bowl recipe. He is not a very experienced
baker, but wants to learn to make bread. This recipe, unlike others,
turned out good on the first try! The shape of some were not perfect
for bread bowls, but that's not the fault of the recipe. We did not
have bread flour so substituted all purpose and it worked just fine.

Review: These are good, but I would reverse the baking method as this
seemed backwards to me. I would first bake them at 375 for 30 minutes
to allow the bowls to expand to their full size, and then harden the
crusts at 500 F as the last step. That's just me.

Source:
   "Originally published as Quick and Easy Bread Bowls in Soups 2016 Bookazine"
S(Internet address):
   "https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/quick-and-easy-bread-bowls/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 564 Calories; 3g Fat (4.3%
calories from fat); 19g Protein; 113g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 719mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 7 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0216