Date Nut Bread

Sue <sue.interport@rcn.com>
Wed, 20 Feb 2019 19:12:31 -0500 (EST)
v119.n008.3
I ended up with a big bag of dates for which I had no plans, then remembered old fashioned date nut bread. Most of the recipes seem similar; this is the one I tried. The first time I drained the dates by mistake (the original recipe says just to add the dates), then added water and soda back again. The second time I used the soaking liquid and the bread came out brown, but tasting the same. I really like this and will be making it often.

DATE NUT BREAD

1 1/2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
2 1/4 cups boiling water
3 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups white sugar
3 tablespoons margarine
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine baking soda with the boiling water. Soak the dates in the water and baking soda solution for 30 minutes.
Cream together the sugar and margarine.
Add eggs, vanilla, dates with soaking liquid, nuts, flour, and salt. Mix until just combined.
Divide batter equally between two 9 x 5 (or 8 1/2 x 4 1/2) inch greased loaf pans.
Bake 1 hour at 300F until or until loaf tests done.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/6852/date-nut-bread/