Maple Oat Soda Bread

Fri, 08 Mar 2019 15:57:08 -0800
v119.n010.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Bread, Maple Oat Soda

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   340                g  boiling water -- (1 1/C or 12 ozs)
   99                 g  thick rolled oats -- (not old-fashioned or
instant/quick oats) *Tip, (1C thick or 3 1/2 ozs)
   284                g  White Whole Wheat Flour -- or 276g
Irish-Style Flour, (2 1/2C, 10 ozs or 9 3/4 ozs)
   67                 g  buttermilk powder -- *Tip, (1/2C or 2 3/8 ozs)
   1           teaspoon  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
   1           teaspoon  salt
   71                 g  melted unsalted butter -- (5T or 2 1/2 ozs)
   103                g  maple syrup -- (1/3C or 3 5/8 ozs)

We love traditional Irish soda bread as much as any Irish native -
and these baking soda-leavened, buttermilk-moistened loaves lend
themselves very well indeed to adaptation! Here's our latest version
featuring Vermont's favorite springtime crop: maple.

PREP: 15 mins.
BAKE: 44 mins. to 48 mins.
TOTAL: 1:10
YIELD: 1 large loaf, 8 mini loaves, or 12 muffins

Bring a pot of water to a boil (you'll want more water than what's
called for, as you'll lose some to evaporation).

Put the oats in a heat-safe bowl or large measuring cup and pour 1
1/2 cups (340g) of the boiling water over the oats. Set aside to
allow the oats to soak for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan,
the eight wells of a mini loaf pan, or the 12 wells of a standard muffin pan.

Weigh your flour; you'll find its weight by toggling to ounces or
grams at the top of the ingredient section above. Or measure it by
gently spooning it into a cup, then sweeping off any excess.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, buttermilk powder,
baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a separate bowl or measuring cup combine the melted butter and maple syrup.

Set aside 1 1/2 tablespoons (21g), then add the remaining
butter/syrup to the dry ingredients along with the oat-water mixture.

Stir everything together until stiff and shaggy looking. Note: If
you've used white whole wheat flour, the batter will be fairly stiff,
so it's beneficial to add an extra 2 to 4 tablespoons (28 to 57g)
water for optimal rise and texture.

Scoop the thick batter into the prepared pan, distributing it evenly
among the wells of the mini loaf pan or muffin pan, if using.

Bake the bread until a toothpick inserted about 1/2" into the top of
the loaf comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs clinging to it,
about 50 to 55 minutes for the full-sized loaf, 20 to 25 minutes for
the mini loaves, or 18 to 22 minutes for the muffins. A digital
thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf will register
between 190F and 200F.

Remove the bread from the oven and immediately brush the top with the
remaining maple syrup-butter mixture, letting it soak into the bread.

After 5 minutes turn the bread out onto a rack to cool. Wait until
the bread cools completely before slicing.

Store airtight at room temperature for several days; freeze for longer storage.

Tips: This recipe calls for thick rolled oats which are available
from our website and from other specialty flour producers in the
grocery store. Regular old-fashioned rolled oats will absorb more of
the hot water during the soaking period and contribute to a much
thicker soda bread batter as a result. To substitute old-fashioned
rolled oats for the thick, soak the oats as directed in 1 1/2 cups
(340g) boiling water. Add 1/4 cup (57g) extra water to the soaked
oats just before mixing them into the dry ingredients with the melted
butter and maple syrup mixture.

The buttermilk powder improves the rise and finished texture of the
soda bread. If you don't have it, we recommend adding 1 tablespoon
vinegar to the liquid ingredients.

Review: Followed the directions using AP flour and this turned out
great. I will definitely make this again. The consistancy and flavor
were great. Even though there is no sugar in the recipe, the flavor
was lightly sweet and satisfying. Yes, it was very thick, but placing
in mini baking pans was no problem. We really enjoyed these slices of
oat soda bread spread with a little butter.

Review: Enjoyed these little soda breads. Followed recipe exactly
with exception of using 2 tsp baking powder and weighed all
ingredients. Goopy batter - not unlike very thick muffin batter -
that I scraped into 6 of the 8 minibread pan cavities. IMO, would
need to scale up recipe by approx. 25% to get 8 little breads. Rose
nicely during baking. Needed a little longer in oven to get to ~200
degrees F internal. Very tasty with a little butter and a strong
cheese! Will make again using buttermilk rather than buttermilk
powder and water. KAF, what was rational behind buttermilk powder
recommendation?

Response: We're so sorry to hear this recipe left you feeling less
than satisfied, Nancy, and appreciate you reaching out to us. We
encourage you to check out this helpful Tip from our Bakers at the
bottom of the recipe: "This recipe calls for thick rolled oats which
are available from our website and from other specialty flour
producers in the grocery store. Regular old-fashioned rolled oats
will absorb more of the hot water during the soaking period and
contribute to a much thicker soda bread batter as a result. To
substitute old-fashioned rolled oats for the thick, soak the oats as
directed in 1 1/2 cups (340g) boiling water. Add 1/4 cup (57g) extra
water to the soaked oats just before mixing them into the dry
ingredients with the melted butter and maple syrup mixture.

Review: I just made this in a regular loaf pan, baked it for 53
minutes and it was perfect. The batter is very thick, thicker than
muffin batter, but it turned out perfectly. I only used 5 tablespoons
of maple syrup, because I thought that would be sweet enough, and it
was. It doesn't even need any butter on it when you slice it, it's
fantastic as is. I used Irish style flour, which I love.

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/maple-oat-soda-bread-recipe";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 185 Calories; 6g Fat (27.5%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
13mg Cholesterol; 338mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1
Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0308