Quick Pizza Dough

Sat, 23 Feb 2019 19:22:21 -0800
v119.n011.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Dough, Quick Pizza

Recipe By     :Suzanne Lenzer
Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

   390            grams  bread flour -- (2 3/4C)
   7              grams  active dry yeast -- (2 1/2t or 1 packet)
   2          teaspoons  sea salt
      1/4           cup  extra-virgin olive oil
   1                cup  warm water
   2        tablespoons  cornmeal -- medium or coarse, (to 3T)

The trouble with most homemade pizza dough recipes is that they're
sort of a pain. You have to plan ahead. Knead the dough. Let it rise.
Clean up after it. This might be the pizza dough recipe that finally
persuades you it's worth the effort - what little effort is required.
With the help of two allies in the kitchen - your food processor and
your freezer - now homemade pizza dough is nearly as simple as taking
a chicken breast out of the freezer to thaw on your way out the door
in the morning.

YIELD: 2 crusts (4 servings)
TIME: About 30 minutes

Put the flour, yeast and salt in a food processor. With the machine
running, pour the oil through the feed tube, then add the water in a
slow, steady stream. Continue to process for 2 to 3 minutes (the
dough should form a rough ball and ride around in the processor). The
finished dough should be soft, slightly sticky and elastic. If too
dry, add a bit more water; if too wet, a tablespoon or so more flour.

Lay a 12" long piece of plastic wrap on a clean work surface. Work
the dough into a rectangle on the plastic, about 8" long and 6" wide.
Press your fingers into the top of the dough all over, making
indentations as though it were a focaccia. Fold the left third of the
dough over (as you would a letter) and repeat the indentations. Fold
the right third over and make the indentations again. Cover the
folded dough with plastic wrap and let rise for 20 minutes.

Cut the dough in half, form each piece into a neat ball, wrap tightly
in plastic wrap and transfer to the freezer. The morning before you
want to make pizza, transfer the dough to the refrigerator to thaw.

Bring the dough to room temperature, 15 to 20 minutes. Put a pizza
stone in the oven and preheat to 550F. (If you don't have a stone,
oil a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.) Dust a peel or the greased
baking sheet generously with cornmeal. Working with the dough in your
hands (not flat on a work surface), gently begin to stretch the dough
into a circular shape, pressing your fist into the center of the
dough and pulling at the edges with your other hand. With both hands,
stretch the dough, being careful not to tear it. Working in a
circular motion, pull the thicker edges of the dough outward, letting
gravity help you. Continue to stretch the dough until it's relatively
even in thickness (the edges will be thicker) and you have the size
you want. Carefully lay it on the peel or baking sheet.

Top the pizza as desired and either slide it off the peel and onto
your heated stone, or place the baking sheet into the oven. Cook the
pizza for 6 to 10 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese
is bubbling.

Review: The first batch I made by hand. The second batch I made in
the Cuisinart. Both chilled in the fridge for about 4 to 5 hours
before use. Both came out well, but I think I should have kneaded the
handmade one a bit longer. Chisinart batch was easier to work with &
had bit better texture. Used America's Test Kitchen cast iron skillet
method of cooking the pizza. Both dough batches were delicious:
tender but sturdy crust, crisp bottom, good flavor. Best homemade
crust I've ever made. The fam loved it.

Review:  I have a food processor, but make pizza dough by hand the
few times I make pizza each year [a special pizza for which I have to
make the sauce then top it with lobster, shrimp, scallops and a
combination of Monterrey Jack and Cheddar cheese]. Make sure you use
a bowl large enough to use both hands. The mixture will stick to your
hands. It helps (a bit) to rub cooing oil on one's hands before
adding liquids into the flour/salt/yeast.

Review: This is my go-to recipe, after trying lots of others. My
husband and I usually make 10 doughs, using an entire bag of King
Arthur bread flour. It only takes 30 minutes total. I use it for
pizza, calzones, stuffed breads, like sausage or pastrami, and simple
fried dough, which we top with a slice of American cheese. It's
wonderful having these balls of dough in my freezer, always ready to
make something delicious!

Review: We make homemade pizza every week, easy and delicious. We use
a bread machine, the pizza dough setting, and in 50 minutes we have
enough dough for two pizzas. We make a pizza with half and freeze the
other half for the next pizza. It's easy to make, easy to work with
and makes excellent pizza crust.

Review: After countless failed attempts to find a foolproof recipe
for something that would seem to be so simple, this worked perfectly.
I have no idea what made the difference (maybe the mixing method
ensuring perfect elasticity?) but it has resolved my reluctance to
make pizza at home.

Review: Needed a quick dough and this was perfect. Not having a food
processor available, I used a stand mixer. Dough was a tad wet so I
added about 2 TBLSP bread flour. I used one ball of dough and froze
the other. Made a calzone. Perfect.

Review: Many happy family nights with this recipe. Agree that double
batch for freezer is a must.

Question: Am I able to use this dough immediately without freezing first?

Response: Yes. I've done it a bunch of times and it still comes out great.

Review: My husband likes to put new sacks of flour away in jars. He
didn't realize one of the jars was half full of powdered sugar, and
filled it with flour. I didn't know and used that jar to make the
pizza dough. Wasn't coming together no matter how much more flour I
added. Finally I realized what happened and we decided to bake it
because why not? It tasted okay with butter and jam. Made the recipe
with only flour tonight, it's much better.

Review: Very easy, quick recipe. Tastes great - very light and airy!
I have tried many other doughs and this is my favorite!

Review: This has become my go-to dough recipe, with modifications: I
follow the directions for step 1 and then knead the dough for a
minute and put it in a covered oiled bowl in the refrigerator for 1-2
days. I then use the dough or freeze for a later date. The slow rise
in the refrigerator gives the dough extra flavor and is even easier
than step 2 (which is already quite easy).

Review: Pizza dough and bread dough ALWAYS require a night in the
refrigerator to develop full flavor. Dough keeps getting better for
up to three days, after that the yeast starts to die.

Review: I did not freeze the dough. I used them after 20 minutes
rising time. It was perfect. Husband who likes to eat pizza said I
can definitely make this again.

S(Internet address):
   "https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017334-quick-pizza-dough";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 492 Calories; 15g Fat (28.2%
calories from fat); 13g Protein; 75g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 945mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 5 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 2 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0223