Irish Brown Bread

Fri, 15 Mar 2019 00:08:22 -0700
v119.n011.7
Read the reviews before you make this one.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Bread, Irish Brown

Recipe By     :Gourmet
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Ethnic                          Posted

   2               cups  whole-wheat flour
   2               cups  all-purpose flour -- plus additional for kneading
      1/2           cup  toasted wheat germ
   2          teaspoons  salt
   2          teaspoons  sugar
   1           teaspoon  baking soda
      1/2      teaspoon  cream of tartar
      1/2           cup  cold unsalted butter -- cut into 1/2" cubes (1 stick)
   2               cups  well-shaken buttermilk

Known as wheaten bread in some parts of Ireland, this version of soda
bread incorporates whole-wheat flour for a heartier crumb. Buttermilk
adds a pleasant tang.

ACTIVE 15 min
TOTAL: 2 hr (includes cooling)
Makes: 1 (9") round loaf

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400F. Butter a
9- by 2" round cake pan.

Whisk together flours, wheat germ, salt, sugar, baking soda, and
cream of tartar in a large bowl until combined well. Blend in butter
with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles
coarse meal. Make a well in center and add buttermilk, stirring until
a dough forms. Gently knead on a floured surface, adding just enough
more flour to keep dough from sticking, until smooth, about 3 minutes.

Transfer dough to cake pan and flatten to fill pan. With a sharp
knife, cut an X (1/2" deep) across top of dough (5" long). Bake until
loaf is lightly browned and sounds hollow when bottom is tapped, 30
to 40 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then turn out onto
rack and cool, right side up, about 1 hour.

Cooks' Note: Bread can be served the day it is made, but it slices
more easily if kept, wrapped in plastic wrap, at room temperature 1 day.

Leftover bread keeps, wrapped in plastic wrap, at room temperature 4 days.

Cal 3053, Fat 108g, Carb 448g, Sod 2809ng, Fiber 35g, Pro 85g

Review: Recipe is great. Nutrition information, not so much. The top
note says per 1 serving, but the calorie & other nutrition info is
obviously for the whole recipe. The number of servings would allow
one to determine the per serving amounts.

Review: Love this bread. I've made it a couple of times and it turned
out nicely both times. It makes great toast and any leftovers freeze
well. I didn't have any wheat germ this time so to replace it I used
1/2 cup oats that I lightly chopped up in my food processor.

Review: Great recipe. It is still a little different than the brown
bread I experienced in Ireland but still very good and definitely a
keeper. Added about 4 Tbs of molasses to buttermilk before mixing
with dry ingredients for a little extra flavor. Came out great and
will make this on a regular basis.

Review: This recipe is exceptional. I didn't have any buttermilk on
hand, so used half skim milk, half heavy cream with 2 tablespoons of
white vinegar. Also, I put 1 tablespoon of sugar, rather than the two
teaspoons and the balance was right on. I think as written, this
recipe would be delicious, too. As to the technique, I made sure the
butter was very cold (and even put the flour mixture in the freezer
for a few minutes) and I did NOT mix it 3 minutes - only just to
combine, about 30 seconds. This is the closest I've tasted to the
authentic brown bread I fell in love with in Ireland. Definitely a
'must save' recipe! LOVED!

Review: Awesome bread, easy to mix in kitchenaid with dough hook then
put in pan to bake. Delicious with marmalade.

Review: I have been baking Irish soda bread for almost 50 yrs. using
various recipes. I suspect the reviewers who had a bad turnout are
making a common error, over-kneading the dough. If you just mix the
wet into the dry until it comes together, form it into a ball, and
toss it into the pan you should have excellent results. Like biscuit
dough. Over-kneading forms gluten, which makes for tough bread. Also,
I often hear bakers say that they followed a recipe from an Irish
person to the letter and it was a failure. Irish flour has a lower
gluten content than American APF. So it is 'softer'. Try 3 cups of
whole wheat and 1 cup of cake flour. Finally, I know of no Irish
baker who puts molasses into his soda bread. It confuses me how
someone would give a poor rating to a recipe they never actually followed.

Review: This bread is delicious! I followed a few tips from other
reviews and used my Kitchen Aid mixer, used only whole-wheat flour,
and used molasses instead of sugar and I am so happy that I made the
changes. I also used a loaf pan instead of the round cake pan so that
the shape would be more manageable for sandwiches and toasting and it
worked perfectly. I lived in Ireland for a year and this bread tastes
just as good as any brown bread I had there.

Review: I have made this so many times since I first found it, my
entire extended family and many co-workers ask if I'm baking for all
of our holiday get-togethers. A few things I've altered for even more
delicious results, drop the all purpose flour and just use 4 cups
wheat, it makes a much healthier and richer bread. Also, when in a
pinch and needing more than one loaf, I found splitting the dough in
half and forming each half into a 8 or 9 in pan does bakes the same
yummy bread, just slightly less thick. Also, sprinkling sugar ontop
prior to baking for a sweeter loaf or any fresh herbs from the garden
(rosemary or chives being my favorites) for a great adddition to your
usual dinner bread. Excellent wonderful recipe.

Review: I used powdered buttermilk instead of "the real thing" and 2
Tbs of canola oil instead of butter. I made a traditional round loaf
on a cookie sheet with cross cut in top. Results tasted like the same
brown bread I came to love when visiting Ireland. Really excellent. I
found that I needed MUCH less than 2 cups of buttermilk to make
reasonable dough, I had nearly a cup left over. First loaf I
attmepted, I dumped the whole 2 cups in - big mistake - made wallpaper paste.

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/irish-brown-bread-109216";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 166 Calories; 6g Fat (32.2%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
15mg Cholesterol; 337mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0314