Easy Blueberry Cream Scones

Sat, 30 Mar 2019 19:12:01 -0700
v119.n016.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Scones, Easy Blueberry Cream

Recipe By     :Claire Saffitz
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fruit                           Posted

   1                     lemon
      1/3           cup  sugar -- plus
   2              Tbsp.  sugar
   2               cups  all-purpose flour -- plus more for dusting
   1                cup  old-fashioned rolled oats -- plus
   2              Tbsp.  old-fashioned rolled oats
   2 1/2           tsp.  baking powder
      1/2          tsp.  kosher salt
   1 1/3           cups  chilled heavy cream -- plus
   1              Tbsp.  chilled heavy cream
   2              Tbsp.  honey
   1                cup  frozen blueberries -- preferably wild
   1              large  egg yolk

Think of these scones as the easier, cooler cousin of the blueberry
muffin. Why cooler? Because they don't even require a muffin pan. Why
easier? Because all you have do is mix heavy cream and a little honey
into the dry ingredients. It's a one-bowl brunch slam dunk.

Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 400F. Finely grate
zest of 1 lemon with a microplane into a large bowl. Add 1/3 cup
sugar and massage with your fingertips until mixture looks like wet
sand and is very fragrant. Set aside remaining lemon for another use.

Add 2 cups flour, 1 cup oats, 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder, and 1/2 tsp.
salt to bowl with sugared zest. Whisk to combine.

Whisk 1 1/3 cups cream and 2 Tbsp. honey in a medium bowl until combined.

Slowly drizzle cream mixture into flour mixture, tossing with a fork
to disperse liquid and hydrate flour. Stop mixing when you still have
a few dry spots.

Add 1 cup blueberries and fold mixture with a rubber spatula, taking
care only to mix until blueberries are distributed throughout and you
have a sticky dough. It's okay if some of the blueberries bleed or
get broken up.

Dust countertop liberally with more flour and turn out dough. Pat
down into a 1" thick square, flouring hands lightly to prevent
sticking as you work.

Mix 1 egg yolk and remaining 1 Tbsp. cream with a pastry brush in a
small bowl. Brush yolk mixture all across surface of dough.

Sprinkle remaining 2 Tbsp. oats and 2 Tbsp. sugar over.

Using a knife or metal bench scraper, cut dough into 4 quadrants,
then cut each quadrant in half diagonally so you have 8 triangles.

Transfer each triangle to a large parchment-lined rimmed baking
sheet, spacing evenly.

Bake scones on upper rack until tops are lightly golden all over and
bottoms are golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet.
Serve warm.

Do Ahead: Scones are best made the same day. Rewarm slightly in
microwave or oven, if needed.

Review: I'd make this again. It was easy to make and I hadn't made
scones before. However, I think I would incorporate some blueberry
jam to amp up the blueberry flavor. It was nice that I didn't have to
deal with cold butter and worrying that it would melt.

Review: Very good. I don't bake a lot but these were exceptionally
easy and turned out great.

Review: Scones turned out great, looking just as shown in the photo.
I had a bit of difficulty in between steps 5 and 6 (stirring in
blueberries, then forming into a 1-inch thick dough on counter). My
mistake was in forming the dough square on the counter, without
having well-combined the mixture in the bowl first. I found that in
trying to combine & form the dough on the counter, many of my
blueberries got squished, and overall it seemed more messy than
necessary. Next time I would form the dough into a spheroid shape
in/over the bowl, then move to the counter to just do a bit of
shaping. UK oven settings: Top & bottom bake, 220 degrees C, 18 minutes.

Review: So easy to make, and so luscious. I didn't have lemon, so
used lime zest. I used a standard cookie sheet but because the scones
expanded more than I expected I'll use a larger sheet next time. I
used only one tablespoon of sugar on top with the oats and that was
more than fine. It took closer to 25 minutes to bake, perhaps because
of the frozen blueberries.

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/easy-blueberry-cream-scones";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 381 Calories; 17g Fat (39.8%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 52g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
84mg Cholesterol; 288mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0330