Asiago Ciabatta Bread

Sun, 26 May 2019 20:03:23 -0700
v119.n021.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Bread, Asiago Ciabatta

Recipe By     : King Arthur Flour Co
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Italian                         Low Fat
                 Posted

   177                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (1 1/2C or 6 1/4 ozs)
   28                 g  pumpernickel flour -- rye, or whole wheat
flour, (1/4C or 1 oz)
   227                g  water -- (1C or 8 oz)
      1/8      teaspoon  instant yeast
                         DOUGH:
                         all of the starter
   297                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (2 1/2C or 10 1/2 ozs)
   113                g  water -- (1/2C or 4 ozs)
   6                  g  Pizza Dough Flavor -- (1 Tbsp or 1/4 oz) optional
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
      1/2      teaspoon  instant yeast
   113            grams  Parmesan cheese -- or  Asiago, cut into 1/4"
dice, (to 142g) plus extra for grating over the top of the bread

The nutty, mellow flavor of Asiago cheese adds a kick to this
traditional Italian slipper bread. A well made ciabatta has a chewy
crust and an open crumb.

PREP: 18 mins.
BAKE: 22 mins. to 26 mins.
TOTAL: 15:25
YIELD: two 12" x 4" loaves

To make the biga: Mix all of the biga ingredients in a medium-sized
bowl until well-blended. Cover the bowl, and leave it at cool room
temperature (68F-70F) for 12 to 20 hours, until the biga is very bubbly.

To make the dough: Mix the biga and the remaining dough ingredients,
except the cheese, using an electric mixer set on slow speed, for 2
to 4 minutes. Increase the speed to medium and mix for about 4
minutes; the dough should be soft and slightly sticky. Add additional
water or flour if necessary. Mix in the cheese; don't worry if some
pieces pop out.

To make dough in a bread machine: Add all of the ingredients and mix
this dough on the dough cycle; add the diced cheese several minutes
before the end of the final kneading cycle.

Allow the dough to rise, in a greased, covered bowl, for 1 to 2
hours, until it's very puffy.

Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface, and shape it into two
long loaves, about 12" x 4" each. Place the loaves, floured side up,
onto parchment paper (if you plan to bake on an oven stone) or baking
sheets. Cover the loaves with a proof cover or well-greased plastic
wrap, and allow them to rise for 45 minutes, or until they're very
puffy. Sprinkle them with additional grated cheese.

While the bread is rising, preheat the oven to 450F.

Bake the ciabatta for 22 to 26 minutes, until it's golden brown.
Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.

Wrap well, and store for 2 days on the counter. Freeze for up to 3 months.

Cal 286, Fat 3g, Carb 48g, Sod 652g, Fiber 2g, Pro 11g

Review: I have made twice. Taste wonderful. I messed it up the second
time and had to do my own fix and it still came out wonderful

Review: Made this yesterday and we had paninis on it. SO GOOD! My
family insisted I make it again and there's a bowl of dough rising as
I type. Really great recipe and so easy!

Question: Made twice...second time followed measurements to a "T" via
scale and turned out better than first attempt. Flavor was fantastic
and tried to get a better crumb/large holes by adding 1/8t more yeast
to main dough. Did improve but still looking for that classic
chiabatta look. Too flat a loaf for me.
Response: We're glad you tried weighing the ingredients, Steve! We
always get a better result that way. You're not alone in wondering
how to get those big, beautiful air holes in your ciabatta. We
actually have a great blog article on this topic called "How do you
make that bread with the big holes?" If you search our site for the
title, it should pop right up.

Review: I chose this recipe as my first time baking bread! I cut the
recipe in half cause there's only two of us in this household. I was
very nervous but I followed all of the steps (measuring by weight)
and made sure to use SAF red yeast and it turned out fantastic!
Easier than expected and a lot of fun. The dough rose like a charm.
The whole house smelled divine as it baked and when it came out it
looked beautiful. Crust is thin and chewy, the inside was soft and
tender. Tasted so so good! Will definitely make again.

Review: Just baked this for the first time with organic King Arthur
flours. I'd never made any ciabatta bread before, so I wasn't sure
what to expect. I love how soft the crust is and the little touch of
sharp flavor from the cheese (I used Parmesan). As always, recipes
from Sift/KAF are spot on. I really appreciate how much I can trust
all of the recipes that come from them. This one was very easy and a
flavorful surprise when it was done. I know we'll have it a lot around here.

Question: This was delicious. And easy to make. I was puzzled though
because the crust was soft rather than crusty. Did I do something
wrong or is that normal.
Respoonse: We're happy to hear the flavor of this recipe left you
with a full, happy belly! Ciabatta doesn't typically have a thick,
crunchy crust, but rather a very thin, slightly chewy crust. If you'd
like to have more of a crunch factor, you could spray the loaves with
a spray bottle of water (5 or 6 squirts should do it) right after you
put them in the oven, then close the door very quickly to trap the steam.

Review: I have made this many times. Every time I have made it with
my currently available active yeast. I've added a little extra and
it's turned out fine. I've also replaced 2.5oz of the flour in the
second step with the White Whole Wheat flour. Nothing quite smells
like this after the first rise. I often make it into 6 large sandwich
rolls that I bake at 400F for 20 mins.

Review: Today was the second time I've made this recipe. For the
second time the loaves look beautiful coming out of the oven! I used
Asiago this time - the first time I used Cheddar, so I'm anxious to
see how this one tastes. The dough came together really quickly and
easily. I used the weights again this time and I wound up needing a
bit more water than last time, but we're in the high desert here so
not surprising. I will definitely be making this again!

Review: I also used sourdough in the biga. Added yeast to the dough
for more timely proofing, as my kitchen is quite cold at this time of
year. Very easy and extremly satisfying. Family loves it.

Review: I absolutely LOVE this recipe! Bread came out perfectly! I
used whole wheat flour in the biga and the 5oz of asiago in the
loaves plus more shredded for the top. I baked on a pizza stone and
am incredibly pleased with the results. I was told that this was the
best bread I have ever baked! This is recipe is DEFINITELY a keeper.

Review: This is a wonderful bread. I have been baking this one on and
off for years. I also use a cup of white whole wheat flour and
decrease the all purpose flour by a like amount. Just recently, since
I don't have the pizza seasoning I used the olive artisan bread
flavor in the bread and with the Asiago cheese it was wonderful. My
son and daughter-in-law were raving about the bread. We also slice it
up and toast it and use it with a cream cheese and pepper jelly
spread as well as sandwich with smoked turkey. If you like olive
bread you will love this one!

Review: I've been looking for an easy bread recipe to make roles for
my sons upcoming wedding. This bread is AMAZING! I was a little
intimidated at first because I'd never used a starter and although
I've been baking for years, I've never had a lot of luck with breads.
It was SO EASY. I took a sample to some friends and they couldn't get
enough! Both wanted the recipe and said they were going to go home
and make it right away. When it came out of the oven, the crust was
golden and crispy- so yummy. I was hoping for a softer chewy crust
for the wedding. After cooling, it had that chewy crust I was looking
for. I followed the recipe and made two loafs. I just started another
batch to see how it turns out as rolls. Thank you for this bread and website!!

Question: This is the third artisnal bread that I have made and
mercifully they all have come out better than what I can buy
regionally. This came out exceptionally well made with a nice crisp
crust and plenty of bubbly crumb. The house took on the savory scent
of the cheese and yeasts. My only modification to the recipe was that
I folded the ciabatta in the traditional papar envelope method and
stretched it to the final size for final proofing. I spritzed it and
put it on the baking stone (both loaves) for a total of 22 minutes
(must have a hot oven) switching their orientation at 11 minutes.
Excellent spring and rich taste. My additional flour was rye. The
dilemma that I face now is... How do I store this bread because it
has cheese in it.
Response: Try freezing your thoroughly cooled bread in ziplock bags.
To reheat put the frozen bread in the oven while you preheat to 350F,
for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Review: This is a wonderful bread. We had it with French Onion
soup...superb! I, too, used Parmegino Reggiano and will try it with
Asiago next time. Try it lightly toasted for breakfast, oh my!

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/asiago-ciabatta-recipe";
Yield:
   "2 loaves"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 130 Calories; 2g Fat (15.3%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
5mg Cholesterol; 296mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 0 Fat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0413