Bread Machine Ricotta Chive Bread

Sun, 02 Jun 2019 21:35:24 -0700
v119.n022.8
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Bread Machine Ricotta Chive Bread

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour Co
Categories    : Bread                           Bread Machine
                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Low Fat
                 Posted

   227                g  lukewarm water -- (1C or 8 oz)
   85                 g  ricotta cheese -- or whole or part-skim (1/3C or 3 oz)
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   14                 g  granulated sugar -- (1 Tbsp or 1/2 oz)
   361                g  Unbleached bread flour -- (3C or 12 3/4 oz)
   28                 g  chopped chives -- or chopped wild leek
leaves, (1/2C or 1 oz)
   2 1/2      teaspoons  instant yeast

Made start to finish in a bread machine, this bread has a tender
crumb and is filled with flecks of green from the chives. If you have
wild leeks (ramps) growing in your yard, use them in place of chives.

PREP: 5 mins.
BAKE: 3 hrs
TOTAL: 3:05
YIELD: 1 loaf, 16 slices
Serving Size 1 slice, 45g

Place all of the ingredients into the pan of your bread machine in
the order recommended by the manufacturer.

Program the machine for basic bread, light crust, and press Start.

Check the dough's consistency about 7 minutes after the kneading
cycle begins, adding additional water or flour to form a soft, smooth
ball of dough. Allow the machine to complete its cycle.

Cool the loaf completely before serving. Store bread, well wrapped,
at room temperature for several days. Freeze for longer storage.

Tip: Don't have a bread machine? Mix, knead, and shape the dough,
then let it rise until very puffy. Deflate the dough, shape it into a
log, and place it in an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" pan. Cover the pan, let it
rise until it's crowned about 1" over the pan's rim, uncover, and
bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 35 to 40 minutes, until it tests done.

Cal 90, Fat 1g, Carb 17g, Sod 150mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 4g

Review: Fabulous recipe! Lovely crumb, smooth and crispy. The chives
add a lovely, savory bit; adore the recipe!!

Review: I made this by hand without the chives (I wanted neutral
sandwich bread), and it turned out beautifully. Thank you for a
terrific recipe.

Review: I tried this recipe with fresh garden herbs, as I was out of
scallions. I added minced garlic, fresh rosemary, sage, and oregano.
I have been experimenting with different flours and tried
substituting half Italian flour (tipo 00) and half KA AP flour and it
was very good, but a little denser than it would have been with the
bread flour. Now, I'm making a second loaf to take to the office, and
am using regular AP flour. I'm betting I will only have an empty pan
to take home at the end of the day!

Review: I made this in my Kitchen Pro bread machine. The loaf fell
and the final product was tremendously ugly, but I didn't care
because it was soft and tasted excellent. It's a great way to use
leftover ricotta from a pasta recipe.

Review: Another fantastic bread recipe, King Arthur Flour. Thank you.
This one was fun to bake too, and we just loved the texture and
flavors here. Thanks for giving us these recipes, we really
appreciate having them!

Review: I am so happy with this recipe! We all thoroughly enjoyed
this bread; it was gobbled down in no time. The dough had a lovely
texture and such a great flavor. And it was so easy to make!

Review: The recipe sounded delicious so I wanted to make it
immediately; however I did not have ricotta or chives on hand. Used
cottage cheese and green onion tops instead and baked in my bread
machine. Smelled heavenly and tasted divine! Excellent toasted, as
well, topped with seasoned tomatoes...will bake this often! Thanks for posting!

Review: I didn't have any fresh chives so I used chopped garlic
scapes ( the curly tips of a garlic plant). This is a quick rising
loaf which smells amazing while it bakes and it tastes delicious. I
will make this again using fresh chives so I can compare. Also, since
I don't have a bread machine I used my stand mixer and it worked well
for this recipe.

Review: I made this bread today (4/15/2016) from the recipe in the
current (Spring 2016) issue of Sift. I think the Sift recipe was
translated from the recipe here--originally meant for a bread
machine--mostly because I don't feel like the mixing-by-hand method
(my method of mixing and kneading dough) incorporated the ricotta
cheese properly. The recipe in Sift states to mix and knead the dough
by hand, mixer, or bread machine (for a recipe intended for a bread
machine). The Sift magazine recipe doesn't state how long to mix and
knead. I like to have a ballpark figure to go by when kneading. I
kneaded until it felt right, but I worried about adding too much
flour (I didn't) while kneading since the dough continued to get
sticky. KAF's reply to a comment here states to use an 8 1/2 by 4
1/2" loaf pan, while Sift's pan dimensions for this recipe are to use
a 9 by 5" loaf pan. That makes a difference, so which is the proper
size? The risings went well, but when I made the "decorative" slashes
in the top, I saw with horror the dough deflating, but rushed it into
the hot oven thinking it would pop back up. It didn't. (Next time I
will not make those slashes.) The bread came out just okay, nothing
more, nothing less. It tasted good, but I was disappointed,
especially with Sift magazine's recipe. Now that I see that this
recipe started out as a bread machine recipe, I'm wondering why KAF
didn't give more explicit directions in the magazine, or why they
even included it in that issue.If you mix the ingredients in the
order listed, the water and ricotta should combine to make a slurry
that takes up the flour evenly, even mixing by hand. The standard
time for kneading dough is a minimum of 6 minutes (best to start
there for a mixer) and up to 8 minutes by hand. This bread is a quick
riser; next time try checking the loaf's height after 30 minutes; it
may be ready to bake sooner. The correct pan size is 9" x 5"; usually
a bread calling for 3 cups of flour can go in either an 8 1/2" or a
9", but in this particular bread's case the larger pan is a better choice.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/ricotta-chive-bread-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 96 Calories; 1g Fat (10.4%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 3mg Cholesterol; 206mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0602