Carta Di Musica Crackers

Tue, 02 Jul 2019 22:40:00 -0700
v119.n027.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Crackers, Carta Di Musica

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Crackers/Crisps/Pretzels
                 Italian                         Low Fat
                 Side Dish

   241                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (2C or 8 1/2 oz)
   163                g  semolina -- (1C or 5 3/4 oz)
   1 1/4      teaspoons  salt
   227                g  lukewarm water -- (1C or 8 oz)

This crisp cracker bread's colorful name comes from the dough, which
is supposed to be rolled so thin that you can read sheet music
through it. It's the perfect vehicle for anything from a quick dip in
seasoned olive oil to a spoonful of caponata

Carta puffs up and crisps beautifully on a super-hot pizza stone. But
don't let the lack of a stone stop you; it bakes nearly as nicely on
a baking sheet.

PREP: 20 mins. to 30 mins.
BAKE: 6 mins. to 8 mins.
TOTAL: 41 mins. to 53 mins.

Preheat your oven to 450F, with a pizza stone in the middle or lower
part (not top) of of the oven. If you're not using a stone, preheat a
baking sheet in the oven for about 10 minutes before placing breads
on it to bake.

Mix the flour, semolina, salt, and water, stirring to make a soft dough.

Knead till dough is smooth and resilient, about 7 minutes in a stand
mixer set at medium speed.

Divide the dough into 12 pieces, rounding each piece into a ball.
Cover the balls and let them relax for about 15 minutes; this will
make them easier to roll out.

Roll each ball of dough into an 8" to 9" round on a lightly greased
(NOT floured) work surface. The rounds will shrink to about 7".

Transfer the rounds, 2 or 3 at a time, to your baking sheet or the
hot pizza stone. Bake until the top of the bread is firm and lightly
browned, about 4 minutes. Turn them over, and bake until the other
side is lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Remove from the oven, and cool on a rack. Serve with spreads or dips.
Or brush with seasoned olive oil, and sprinkle with a touch of salt.

If you notice your oven starting to cool down due to the constant
opening and closing of its door as you turn the carta, give it a rest
between batches; the crackers will puff best if the oven temperature is 450F.

Question: So crunchy! This was delicious with olive oil and dried
herbs from my mom's garden. I made these crackers the day of my
party, and then made fresh homemade pasta. I wonder for how long
these would stay fresh and crisp? It would be nice to make them the
day before an event, if possible. These big carta wouldn't be good
for a stand-up eating event, as they do shatter quite a bit when you
eat them. It would make crumbs everywhere...but worth every bit of
effort as they taste great (as long as you are sitting.)
Response: These should stay crisp for 3-4 days in an airtight
container or bag, although in humid weather they may not stay crisp
as long. You can re-crisp them by placing them on a cookie sheet in
the oven for a brief time.

Review: This was really easy to make but still has an impressive
presentation. They are addictive once you start eating them, and even
more so when you have a good dip to eat with it.

Review: This easy recipe is not intended for pizza crust but, in my
quest to find a St. Louis style pizza type crust, Carta da Musica
seemed like it would fit the bill. Other recipes I have tried have
all been too thick although quite delicious; however not what I
wanted. This recipe is the closest I have come yet. It was really
good! I think I will end my search. I halved the recipe, rolled it
thin with my fondant roller and fit it in my preheated cookie sheet.
I increased the cooking time slightly, then put the toppings on and
baked again until the cheese bubbled. YUM! Even my husband liked it.

Review: These were super-easy to make and taste great. I actually got
16 out of the recipe, and they are huge! Right now I'm just nibbling
on them straight from the oven, but I think they would be excellent
with hummus or even guacamole. It was hard to get them neatly on the
hot stone (the edges tend to flop around), but it really didn't
matter. They bake up all nice and fluffy even if they go on the stone
with wrinkles.

Review: These crackers were great, I was expecting it to be tricky,
but I did it with my 5 year old and it was pretty straightforward. We
served them to guests with some olive oil with garlic and hot pepper
flakes and they were very impressed. I rolled them on a silicone mat
and found that I needed a little oil to get them thin enough. I have
a double walled hollow cookie sheet and they puffed up perfectly on
that. I found that rolling them out to the 8-9" diameter was best,
any thinner and they didn't puff up so well. They taste exactly like
Carr's Table Water Biscuits (from the UK)!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/carta-di-musica-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 123 Calories; trace Fat (2.5%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 223mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch).

NOTES : 2019 - 0702