Spiraled Wheat Loaf Bread

Sat, 06 Jul 2019 16:24:19 -0700
v119.n028.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Bread, Spiraled Wheat Loaf

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour Co
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

                         WHITE DOUGH
   241                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (2C or 8 1/2 oz)
   1                cup  salt
   11                 g  sugar -- (1 Tbsp or 3/8 oz)
   1 1/2      teaspoons  instant yeast
   28                 g  butter -- (2 tab or 1 oz)
   18                 g  nonfat dry milk -- (1/3C or 5/8 oz)
   170                g  water -- (3/4C or 6 oz)
                         WHEAT DOUGH
   170                g  White Whole Wheat Flour -- (1 1/2C or 6 oz)
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
   18                 g  sugar -- (1 1/2 Tbsp or 5/8 oz)
   2 1/2      teaspoons  instant yeast
   28                 g  butter -- (2 Tbsp or 1 oz)
   25                 g  nonfat dry milk -- (1/2C or 7/8 oz)
   1         tablespoon  black cocoa -- optional, for color
   1 1/2      teaspoons  Whole-Grain Bread Improver
   113                g  water -- (1/2C or 4 oz)
                         EGG WASH
   1              large  egg -- beaten, for sealing the layers of dough

The striking visual combination of white and whole wheat bread is as
tasty as it is attractive.

PREP: 45 min
BAKE: 45 min
TOTAL: 3:25
YIELD: one 12" loaf

King Arthur recommends their Baker's Special Dry Milk. It's denser
then nonfat dry milk so use 2 Tbsp (18g) in the white dough and 3
Tbsp (25g) in the wheat dough.

Prepare the white and wheat doughs separately, mixing and then
kneading until smooth. Allow them to rise for 1 hour.

Roll each piece of dough into a 12" x 12" square.

Brush the white dough with part of the beaten egg, center the wheat
dough atop it, and brush the wheat dough with beaten egg.

Roll up like a log, pinching the seam and ends closed.

Place the dough in a covered baker, which you've sprinkled generously
with cornmeal, or in a lightly greased 12" sandwich pan, and cover
the pan with a lightly greased piece of plastic.

Allow the bread to rise for about 45 minutes, or until it's filled
the pan and crowned about 1" over the rim.

Remove the plastic, and place the cover on the baker (or leave the
sandwich pan uncovered), and put it in a cold oven.

Set the heat to 425F, and bake for 15 minutes.

Reduce the heat to 350F, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

Remove the cover from the baker, and bake for a final 15 minutes, or
until the interior of the loaf measures 190F on an instant-read thermometer.

Remove the loaf from the pan, and allow it to cool completely before slicing.

The loaf may be stored, well-wrapped, at room temperature for 5 days
or frozen for 3 months.

Question: This is a great tasting bread, but I have made it twice and
the 2 doughs always separate to some extent - so you have a nice
spiral but gaps between the light and dark. I follow the recipe
exactly, and press down heavily on the combined dough before rolling
into a loaf. Is there a trick to eliminating the separation?

ResponseL: If you brush your layers with a bit of water before
rolling them up, it should help the two to seal together more
thoroughly, eliminating much of the gap you're seeing now.

Review: this is great! i am a lousy baker and can't believe i
accomplished this, very tasty and impressive looking. i used a
pullman pan and it worked fine

Review: This dough was easy to work with and rolled out nicely. The
covered baker gives it a lovely crust. (I use a "classic" Romertopf
unglazed clay baker that I got at a yard sale.) My only problem was
that the layers didn't stick together well and I ended up with big
gaps in the loaf. I think part of the problem was that I followed the
directions and rolled the dough to 12 inches wide, but my pan isn't
12 inches long. I had to squish it up a little to shorten it after I
rolled and shaped the loaf. I'd also like a little more flavor; maybe
next time I will let it rise overnight.

Review: Delicious recipe. It is simple to make and well behaved. I
wish that I had rolled the dough tighter to create a better spiral,
but that will be a lesson for next time.

Review: I add deli rye flavor to white whole wheat dough for
delicious pumpernickel/rye like flavor. Everyone loves this bread!

Review: I had made a similar recipe from a common yeast manufacturers
website and it had flax in the wheat portion. Amanda at KAF gave me
some advice about how much flax and water. I decided against
experimenting. Glad I did. I was hesitant about the instructions, but
I thought what the heck. Everything was nice and satiny and I started
the wheat first. The whole thing came together beautifully. When cool
enough to cut, it was absolutely gorgeous. The flavor of this loaf
was better than the yeast maker's. The egg wash really helped hold it
together, a step not provided by the other website. It made a big
difference. This is a keeper, think the experimenting will be
doubling the loaf. Amanda, thanks so much for the advice, you were
most helpful.

Question: Beautiful loaf, nice moist crumb! My husband loved the look
and taste, and he is not really a wheat bread fan. I made mine with
regular whole wheat, and the color contrast was very nice. I baked it
in a 13" Pain de Mie pan. The loaf rose very quickly, even at this
low altitude, and had great oven spring. Next time, I think I will
bake it one shelf lower, and maybe try WWW and WW. Thanks for another
winning recipe! I thought the instructions for baking in the pan were
a bit ambiguous, as at one point the instructions are to cover the
pan, and in the next paragraph, the instructions are to bake
uncovered. I took this to mean to cover the loaf with plastic, let
rise, and bake uncovered.

Response: If you are using the covered stone ware pan, bake it
covered for the first half hour, then remove the cover for the loaf
to brown. If you are baking it in a loaf pan , don't cover during
baking. You were correct to cover with plastic fro the rise.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/spiraled-wheat-loaf-recipe#reviews

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 94 Calories; 2g Fat (22.6%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
14mg Cholesterol; 4341mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0425