Irish Oat Bread

Thu, 15 Aug 2019 22:46:52 -0700
v119.n034.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Bread, Irish Oat

Recipe By     :Diane
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   1 1/2           Cups  Boiling water
   1                Cup  Instant Irish oats -- Steel Cut Oats
   1 1/2    Tablespoons  active dry yeast
                         Pinch sugar
      1/4           Cup  warm water -- 105 to 115F.
      1/4           Cup  warm Buttermilk -- 105 to115F, Note
      1/3           Cup  raw honey
   3        Tablespoons  coconut oil -- plus more as needed
   3                     eggs
   1               Tsp.  salt
   20 1/2          Cups  Organic unbleached all-purpose bread flour -- (to 5C)

Homemade Irish Oat Bread makes delicious bread with butter, toast and
sandwiches. Full of Irish oats (also known as Steel cut oats).
Organic quick Irish oats add a nutty flavor and nubby texture. This
delicious whole grain bread with steel cut oats is the perfect
balance of flavors.

Note: I used heavy cream with one Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar and let
it sit until curdled

TIPS: You MUST soften the oats before proceeding with this recipe.
Hard oats in, Hard oats out! Bread with HARD, crunchy dried raw oats
is not nice. When properly softened; instant steel cut oats offer a
pleasant, slightly textured, nutty flavor addition to your bread.

If you are committed to butter in your baking just substitute
unsalted butter one to one for the coconut oil called for in this
recipe. Heart Healthy Avocado oil is also a fine oil for this bread.

For high elevations: I reduced the hot water for the oats by about 2
Tbsp. After the oats softened I put them into a strainer. I mixed the
dry ingredients together. Then, mixed the oil, buttermilk, water
(slightly reduced) & honey in a measuring cup & heated this to 115F.
The eggs were stirred into liquids one at a time.

I put about half of the oats into the bread maker pan, stirred the
rest into the flour mixture. I poured the liquids over oats in the
pan, then spooned in the flour mixture.

I made a well in the flour and put 3 1/8 tsp. of yeast. (need to make
it just 3 tsp.) I set the machine to dough cycle (1 1/2 hours)

In a small bowl, pour boiling water over the steel cut oats and let
them sit an hour until all the water is absorbed and the oats are
soft. (DON'T skip this step!)

In your stand mixer bowl, sprinkle the yeast and pinch of sugar over
the water. Stir to dissolve and let stand until foamy (about 5 to 10 minutes).

In a small bowl or stand mixer, whisk together buttermilk, honey, and
coconut oil. Warm to 110F  and pour over the yeast. Add the eggs,
salt, and 1 cup of the flour. Beat with a whisk until smooth (about
one to three minutes on low in my stand mixer).

Add the softened oats to the yeast mixture. With a dough hook on your
stand mixer (a heavy wooden spoon if you're mixing by hand), add in
the flour in 1/2 Cup batches until a soft, sticky dough is formed
that just clears the side of the bowl.

If using a stand mixer continue mixing until the gluten is formed
(check the dough with the 'window pane test'), about 10 minutes. If
kneading by hand, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work
surface and knead until a springy, soft dough is formed. Adding flour
one tablespoon at a time as necessary to prevent sticking.

The dough will have a knubby and slightly tacky feel, it should pass
the windowpane test!

THEN: form the dough into a ball, place into a greased, deep bowl.
Turn the dough ball once to oil it up and then cover the bowl with
plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in bulk, about an hour or so.

Cal 198, Fat 4g, Carb 34g, Sod124mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 7g

S(Internet address):
   https://www.homemadefoodjunkie.com/irish-oat-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 455 Calories; 4g Fat (7.8%
calories from fat); 13g Protein; 90g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
27mg Cholesterol; 104mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 5 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0523