40-Minute Hamburger Buns

Thu, 15 Aug 2019 22:56:30 -0700
v119.n034.8
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Buns, 40-Minute Hamburger

Recipe By     :Jessie McKenney
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Low Fat
                 Muffins/Rolls                   Posted

   2        tablespoons  active dry yeast
   1                cup  warm water -- (110 to 115F) plus
   2        tablespoons  warm water
      1/3           cup  vegetable oil
      1/4           cup  sugar
   1              large  egg
   1           teaspoon  salt
   3               cups  all-purpose flour -- (to 3 1/2C)

Here on our ranch, I cook for three men who love burgers. These
fluffy hamburger buns are just right for their big appetites. I also
serve this homemade burger buns recipe plain with a meal.

Prep: 20 min. + resting
Bake: 10 min.

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let
stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3
to 5 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into
a ball. Place 3" apart on greased baking sheets.

Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425F for 8 to 12 minutes
or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

Test Kitchen Tip: Want a heartier sandwich? Divide the dough into 8
portions instead of 12, then shape anyway you like.
These are ultra customizable. We like to add sesame or poppy seeds.
Just brush warm buns with butter and add your favorite toppings.
This recipe can also be used for slider buns or rolls. Divide dough
into 24 pieces, and bake until golden brown.
To add a golden sheen, whisk one egg yolk with 2-3 teaspoons water,
then brush buns before baking.

Cal 195, Fat 7g, Carb 29g, Sod 204mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 5g

Review: I made these buns last night and they turned out Beautifully!
They are Easy, No Fuss and Tasty Too!

Review: Sometimes I brush these with an egg wash and sprinkle on
sesame seeds before baking.

Review: These are so quick to make, it's great for that last minute
decision to grill burgers. I hate those soft, turn to mush store
bought buns. They freeze nicely,too. I live alone so it's nice to
have them in the freezer, though my daughter and her fiance are
always more than happy to take extras off my hands! They say they are
the best buns EVER!Sometimes I substitute part whole wheat flour and
frequently make them bigger according to need. I have gone down to 8
large buns, but usually I make 10 or 12 buns.

Review: As a first time bread maker, ever, I love this recipe. My
buns came out perfect, very fluffy and a very thin crust. Love the recipe.

Review: These are perfect hamburger buns. I have made them several
times now, and no other recipe compares! I love how fast they come
together. They are a fantastic texture: sturdy enough for your burger
and toppings, but not tough or dry. I usually portion my dough into 8
be instead of 12. I also flatten after shaping instead of leaving
them as balls. I like a higher burger to bun ratio, and this helps.

Review: The texture of these rolls is so light. They went great with
our burgers. Definitely quicker to make than my basic roll recipe.

Review: These are amazing!! Made them tonight after forgetting
hamburger buns at the store, and they are perfect!! So much better
than store bought! We have to watch our sodium around here, so I used
a heaping 1/2 teaspoon of pink himalayan salt instead of a teaspoon.
I also listened to one reviewer and made eight buns, which were the
perfect size! My husband asked me to forget the buns at the grocery
store from now on, and make these instead!

Review: Do not double this recipe unless you have a large enough
mixing bowl. I made this in my 6-qt Professional Kitchenaid mixer and
I had to hold down both the bowl and mixer so it did not come off its
fittings and fall off the counter. If you double this recipe, bake in
two separate pans so you can rotate them. I baked these rolls on a
large, deep jelly roll pan and the rolls in the middle did not rise
the same as the rolls along the perimeter of the pan AND the rolls in
the middle were not cooked through even though they looked done.
Doubling the recipe, I made 22 rolls so that they'd be bigger for
sloppy joes. I should have made 24. The rolls still would have been
large enough making 24. These are dense, heavy rolls. I cut the sugar
a little. I used alot more flour than the recipe called for because
the dough was too sticky using the amount of called for flour. Using
the recipe's flour measurement, the dough could not be formed into
balls, it would have ran all over the pan. In addition, I baked the
rolls way longer than the time in the recipe......and they still were
not cooked!!! Press rolls down before letting them rise because the
rolls were way too think if in balls. Also, resting for only 10
minutes did not allow for any rising. I tripled the rise time to 30
minutes and the rolls still did not rise enough (I had brand new yeast).

Source:
   "Originally published as 40-Minute Hamburger Buns in Best of Country Breads"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/40-minute-hamburger-buns/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 196 Calories; 7g Fat (31.7%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
18mg Cholesterol; 186mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0417