Dairy Hollow House Skillet-Sizzled Cornbread

Sat, 07 Sep 2019 23:01:34 -0700
v119.n036.10
* Exported from MasterCook *

               Cornbread, Dairy Hollow House Skillet-Sizzled

Recipe By     :Crescent Dragonwagon
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

                         Vegetable oil cooking spray
   1                cup  unbleached white flour
   1                cup  stone-ground yellow cornmeal
   1         tablespoon  baking powder
      1/4      teaspoon  salt
      1/4      teaspoon  baking soda
   1 1/4           cups  buttermilk
   2        tablespoons  sugar
   1                     egg
      1/4           cup  vegetable oil -- mild
   2        tablespoons  butter -- or mild vegetable oil

This is the cornbread I served when I owned and ran Dairy Hollow
House; it was its single most requested recipe. It is the first
Southern food I ever learned to fix and the one that started me on my
cornbread journey. I learned how to make it in the Fort Greene
section of Brooklyn, New York, in 1969, when I was very young and
living in a brownstone with seven other people. Viola, the
soft-spoken lady friend of a kind neighbor, taught it to me. Viola
was from Georgia, and it was she who initiated me into baking
cornbread in an already-hot skillet.

Total: under 1 hour

Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray a 10" cast-iron skillet with oil and set aside.

Sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.

In a smaller bowl, stir the baking soda into the buttermilk. Whisk in
the sugar, egg, and the 1/4 cup oil.

Put the prepared skillet over medium heat, add the butter, and heat
until the butter melts and is just starting to sizzle. Tilt the pan
to coat the sides and bottom.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine them quickly, using
as few strokes as possible. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan
and bake the cornbread until it is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Let cool for a few moments, and slice into wedges to serve.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.cookstr.com/Bread-Recipes/Dairy-Hollow-House-Skillet-Sizzled-Cornbread

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 243 Calories; 11g Fat (41.0%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
36mg Cholesterol; 368mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0503