Six-grain Bread

Sat, 21 Sep 2019 21:40:23 -0700
v119.n038.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Bread, Six-grain

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour Co
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

   241                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (2C or 8 1/2 oz)
   113                g  100% White Whole Wheat Flour -- (1C or 4 oz)
   1         tablespoon  vital wheat gluten
   124                g  King Arthur Six-Grain Blend -- (1C or 4 3/8 oz)
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   25                 g  sugar -- (2 Tbsp or 7/8 oz)
   2          teaspoons  instant yeast
   28                 g  nonfat dry milk powder -- 1/3C or 1 oz or
1/4C Baker's Special Dry Milk, (1 oz)
   283                g  lukewarm water -- (1 1/4C or 10 oz)
   43                 g  butter -- or vegetable oil, (3 Tbsp or 1 1/2
oz butter/1 1/4 oz oil)

This soft, high-rising loaf has lots of whole grains and a pleasant,
nubbly texture that's great for sandwiches, toast, or your dinner bread basket.

PREP: 10 mins. to 25 mins.
BAKE: 30 mins. to 40 mins.
TOTAL: 2:20 to 3:45
YIELD: 1 loaf

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl or the bucket of a bread
machine. Mix and knead by hand, electric mixer or bread machine until
the dough is smooth and supple, adding additional liquid or
all-purpose flour as needed.

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise for
about 1 hour. (In a bread machine, allow the machine to complete its
dough cycle.)

Turn the dough onto a lightly oiled work surface, and shape it into a 9" log.

Place the loaf in a lightly greased 9" x 5" pan, cover the pan, and
let the loaf rise about 40 to 60 minutes, or until it's crowned about
1" over the rim of the pan. Towards the end of the rising time,
preheat the oven to 350F.

Bake the bread for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it's golden brown and
its internal temperature registers 190F on an instant-read thermometer.

Remove the bread from the oven, remove it from the pan, and allow it
to cool on a rack.

TIPS: Want to use Kamut flour in this recipe? Substitute 1 1/2 cups
(6 1/4 oz) Kamut® and 1 1/2 cups (6 1/4 oz) King Arthur Unbleached
All-Purpose Flour for the all-purpose and white whole wheat flours.
Shape the loaf into an 8" log, and place it in a lightly greased 8
1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan. Cover it and let it rise about 30 minutes,
until it's crowned about 1" over the rim of the pan. Continue with
the recipe as directed.

For a crustier loaf, form the risen dough into a ball (boule), and
bake in a bread baking bowl or on a lightly greased or
parchment-lined baking sheet for 30 to 40 minutes.

Review & Question: This is by far the best ever ever bread I tasted.
I bake bread all the time (King Arthur bread recipes of course!), and
my husband always loves them, but this one is very special. I have
never tasted such a tender and good bread before. I added a little
bit more water (I will measure next time) and two tablespoon of
gluten flour instead of one. I made the dough in my bread machine,
this is why I added more water, to make sure the dough would be ok.

It said in the recipe that this bread might rise faster, this is an
understatement! I was busy at the computer... my timer was on my oven
while the bread was proofing... usually I check more often... but
after about 40 minutes, I went to have a glance at it... oh my god...
it was 3-4 inches above the side of the bread pan... oh no! I
thought! Too much rise! It will deflate while baking... but no, the
bread stood his ground and was the most beautiful and tastier than
any I had ever made... my only problem was finding a way so that the
top of the bread does not flatten too much the bottom... I haven't
found a way yet! ?? I made it two days ago and I am making another
one now for my hisband and I... we ate it at breakfast, lunch and
supper when freshly made. We can't be without this bread! Oh no!

I want to try using this dough to make hamburger buns... my go to
recipe is Beautiful hamburger buns... so good... but since this bread
is amazingly good... I thought, why not! To come...

I wonder if I could add cinnamon and raisins to make cinnamon and
raisin bread... ? What would you suggest at King Arthur? And thank
you so much for this recipe... so good! You also mentioned that we
could substitute some of the flour by kamut flour... could I use
another flour in the same proportion... like barley flour, amaranth
flour or oatmeal flour? Thank you so much again!|

Response: We're thrilled to hear that this recipe is on its way to
becoming very well-loved in your house! This dough can totally be
baked in roll form, just shape and bake them as you would for the
Beautiful Burger Buns. You can certainly experiment with using other
kinds of ancient grains in the bread, we'd suggest checking out our
Baking with Ancient Grains Guide for tips on amounts to use and the
effects. We haven't tried using this as a cinnamon raisin bread
ourselves, but you can certainly give it try! Just be cautious about
how much cinnamon you add to the dough, as cinnamon can impede yeast
growth which will slow your rise.

Review: This is a fantastic recipe! It's our go-to for easy healthy
sandwich bread. I love KAF products, but I didn't have 6-Grain Blend
on hand when I first tried it, so I substituted the same amount of
Red Mill 8-Grain Hot Cereal which is easily obtainable at a local
grocery store. If you do this, I've found you need about 30g more
all-purpose flour.

Review: Love this recipe so much!! I thought I'd try the tangzhong
method and got your calculations for the recipe. I added 1 3/4 cup of
water instead of the recipes 1 1/4 cup to bring the moisture up to
KAF specifics for tangzhong method. I used the bread machine and it
was quite wet but I just let it do it's thing and all the liquid was
absorbed at the end of the kneading cycle. WOW it was lovely!!! Great
bread!! Thanks so much!

Review: Great results! I weighed the ingredients carefully (in grams)
and followed the directions closely. I used canola oil instead of
butter. It raised quickly, probably helped by the Vital Wheat Gluten.
Baked it in the KAF round stoneware pan. This bread does not have the
complex flavor and texture of a real crusty slow-rising artisan
bread, but it is quick, tastes great, and is far superior for
sandwiches and toast than anything you can buy in a store! My husband
loved it, even though he is not a big fan of whole grains (Mr. White
Bread). Can't wait to make it again.

Review: I bake lots of bread, most in the bread machine! This is one
of the best I have ever made! My Grandchildren totally agree,

Review: My husband and I love this recipe! I followed the recipe
exactly, the first time, weighing the ingredients in grams and then
adjusting the water a bit to get the right dough consistency. Our
home was filled with the most delicious fragrance while it baked, and
the bread tasted just as good. The second time, we decided to try
soaking the six-grain mix with boiling water for an hour, and we like
that texture even better. It still has plenty of crunch, but we think
the soaking brings out the flavor of the grains a bit more.We want to
try some more KAF multi-grain recipes, but we're stuck on this one,
for now. We crave this bread, and sometimes, between the two of us,
we eat nearly half a loaf as soon as it has cooled enough to cut.
We're going to get fat, if we keep this up!Great recipe, KAF! Thank
you so much!

Review: Yum! I just baked this for the first time and I love it! I
weighed all of the major ingredients and increased the amount by 1/3
based on the reviews that said it didn't rise very high. I also
presoaked the 6-grain blend for about 20 minutes in hot water. I
baked it in a straight sided 4x9 pan (pain de mie pan without the
lid). It turned out perfectly. Lots of flavor, moist, great grainy
texture, and it looks beautiful too!

Review: Very tasty and much softer than I expected it to be. Thanks
to an unexpected phone call I ended up proofing the yeast (not called
for in the directions) about twice as long as I normally would which
likely gave my bread a head start. I did use the KA whole grain bread
improver which might also have helped. The only change I'll make for
the next go around is to boost the salt just a little.

Review: A few weeks ago I made this bread for my nephew. He told me
there was only one problem......there wasn't enough of it! I guess
that one small Slice I took upset him! I have been trying so many
different breads and hadn't made this for myself yet. So this is in
my breadmaker using the dough cycle this very minute. And this one is
all mine. Well i may give my husband a bite or two. I followed the
recipe exactly. Thanks KAF for all your great recipes.

Question: We are really enjoying this bread. I added some dried
cranberries to it and the extra tang is really nice.The loaf was
beautiful. The only other thing I did differently was to replace part
of the water with milk as I was a little short on my dry milk (Maybe
a tablespoon off of the 1/3 c.) The bread rose well - a beautiful
loaf! Our only problem is that the bread is a bit delicate when you
want to slice it for the toaster... tends to break apart. Did I let
it rise too long? Also, can the dry milk be replaced with liquid milk
if the total liquid amount remains the same? I don't always have dry
milk on hand.We will be making this again!

Response: If you'd like to omit the dry milk powder, you can use 1
1/4 cups of fresh milk in place of the water in the recipe. As for
the delicate texture, you can try using King Arthur Bread Flour in
place of the all-purpose to give the dough more structure. Be sure
you're not using too much flour, and let the loaf cool completely
before cutting. Whole grain breads are slightly crumbly by nature,
but these tips should help improve your results next time.

Review: A few weeks ago I made this bread for my nephew. He told me
there was only one problem......there wasn't enough of it! I guess
that one small Slice I took upset him! I have been trying so many
different breads and hadn't made this for myself yet. So this is in
my breadmaker using the dough cycle this very minute. And this one is
all mine. Well i may give my husband a bite or two. I followed the
recipe exactly. Thanks KAF for all your great recipes.

Review: This is a fantastic recipe. It is so fluffy and soft - I
expected a dense bread given it has whole wheat flour and whole
grains. Since I did not have milled mixed grains, I coarsely ground
mine in a spice mill and then soaked it in hot water (the same amount
as mentioned in the recipe). Once the mixture reached room
temperature, I added it to the rest of the ingredients and proceeded
as usual. Thanks again for a tasty, healthy recipe!

Review: There is one review that asks about soaking the grains into a
porridge before adding to recipe. I called KAF to inquire how much
water to add to the grains as I prefer the softer loaf. This is what
I wound up doing...I followed the recipe exactly. I divided the 1 1/4
cups of water in half. The first half I boiled and poured over the
grains , also adding those ingredients that I could such as the salt,
butter, etc. The second half I added the sugar and proofed the yeast.
5 minutes later I combined the 2, added the flours and started the
mixer. I did need to add just a bit more water as the dough came
together until it was the correct texture of smooth, elastic and just
a little sticky. It rose beautifully. I folded it down and put it in
the pan...I used a meatloaf pan which was a little larger than my
bread pans, listening to those reviewers who said a larger pan would
be better. Baked as directed. It was not only perfect, but exactly
the taste and texture I wanted! Love, love, love KAF!

Review: This is my go to recipe for sandwich bread. I have made it as
written, except for substituting milk for water and powdered milk. I
find it a very forgiving dough and easy to adapt. I measured by
weight and knead by hand. This time I substituted ground flaxseed,
chia seed and steel cut oatmeal for some of the multi grain mix.
Because of time, the first rise was in the fridge. Even then, it
seemed to be rising pretty fast so I degassed it and gave it a fold
and let it continue to rise overnight. Took it out this morning,
shaped and put it in the pan, and it came out great. As with other
breads, if the dough seems a little dry, add water by the teaspoon
until it feels right.

Question: This turned out beautifully for me! I followed the recipe
exactly, except I mixed all three flours (the white whole wheat,
all-purpose and 6 grain blend) and then removed half a cup. It's very
dry here in Montana and I suspected I wouldn't need to add all of the
flour. The bread rose beautifully and my whole family loved it -
soft, with great texture and lovely crumb. I do have one question:
would I need to make any changes if I doubled the recipe to make two
loaves instead of one?
Response: We're so pleased to hear what success you had with this
recipe! The amount of yeast in any recipe can be varied, depending on
how quickly (or slowly) you want your dough to rise, so when doubling
a yeasted recipe like this, you can use anywhere from 1-2x the amount
of yeast called for in the recipe. In general, we'd say that you
should feel free to choose the amount that best fits your
preferences. If you're at altitude, however, we'd suggest keeping the
yeast amount the same, as we often find it helpful to cut back on the
amount of yeast used at altitude. Hope this helps!

Review: Well the second attempt came out excellent, I did the rising
in the same place, don't laugh, the back of the pellet stove. Pellet
stoves never get the top very hot, but I placed it over the back over
the pellet bin, but still nice and warm. It rose well, and was ready
in a little over an hour. The loaf baked perfectly in 30 minutes. I
am so pleased I tried it again, I did add a tad more water to the
dough, about 2 tbs, to make it not so dry. Bread making is part
experience and part experimentation sometimes. Thank you for your
advice! I am enjoying using the KA white whole wheat flour, the taste
is milder then the regular whole wheat flour.

Review: I made rolls instead of loaf. Great for hamburgers. Thanks
for the recipe.

Review: Loved this bread! My husband is a fan of white bread and I'm
always trying to get him to eat better bread. He loved it! In fact,
I'm sure he will be asking for it again real soon. I made it exactly
as stated in the recipe. Next time I plan on adding 2 tablespoons
more water. I live at close to 5,000 feet above sea level and the
flour here dries out quickly in Arizona. The bread was OK, but I
think it could be just a little more moist. I baked it for 30
minutes, tested the internal temp. and it was only 157 degrees. I
baked it 5 minutes more and the internal temp. was 194 degrees.

Review: This bread is just SO good. It's my daily breakfast. I make
it weekly I like it so much, and sometimes I add dried cranberries
and chopped walnuts or raisins and chopped toasted almonds. To make
it a no-hassle thing, I bring out all the ingredients except the
liquids, and set out four heavy plastic bags, and put all the dry
stuff according to the recipe in the bags. If I decide to add the
fruit and nuts I set them inside the 4 larger bags in 4 sandwich
bags. I store the bags in my fridge and I have bread mix ready to go!
I keep them for up to a month. Sometimes I use buttermilk for half
the liquid -- a dandy taste there. And sometimes Instead of the fruit
and nuts I add the ancient grains Blend to give it more texture. I
mix it my Zo bread maker on a dough cycle, let it rise 45 minutes,
shape and put it in my pans (one large or 2 small) and let it rise
again. I bake in the oven, not the breadmaker. YUMYUM!

Review: I made rolls for Thanksgiving using this recipe. It made 12
great rolls. I divided the dough and baked them on parchment paper
for about 18 minutes. Everyone liked them including my 5 yr. old
grandson who is very a very picky eater.

Review: Excellent! Pretty light and moist for a whole grain bread. I
used KAF dried buttermilk powder & canola oil for the ingredients
which listed an option. Because I was so sure that this would be
another KAF winner, I doubled the recipe & made one loaf of bread in
the 9 X 5 pan & made 6 rolls in the hamburger bun pan (although next
time I may make the buns slightly smaller).. I'll definitely make
this again. Thanks KAF!!!!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/six-grain-bread-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 128 Calories; 3g Fat (18.1%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
6mg Cholesterol; 208mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0616