Lavash Crackers

Mon, 14 Oct 2019 19:33:34 -0700
v119.n043.3
Here are two Lavash recipes. One is yeasted and one isn't. You can
choose or make both to see which you prefer. You can also change the
toppings to items you prefer ... if you don't like zaatar then leave
it out and use something you like.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Crackers, Lavash

Recipe By     :Alton Brown
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Crackers/Crisps/Pretzels
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Posted

   14 1/2        ounces  all-purpose flour -- approximately 2 1/2C
plus extra for rolling
   1           teaspoon  table salt
      1/2      teaspoon  granulated sugar
      2/3           cup  water -- plus additional if needed
   1              whole  egg
   5        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- divided, melted, and
cooled slightly

Prep: 15 min
Cook: 15 min
Total: 30 min

Place the flour, salt and sugar into a medium bowl and whisk to
combine. In a small bowl whisk together the water, egg, and 2
tablespoons of the butter. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients
and stir until the dough comes together, adding additional water if
the dough is dry. Knead the dough in the bowl 5 to 6 times. Turn the
dough out onto the counter, divide into thirds, cover with a tea
towel and allow to rest for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375F.

Lightly butter the back of a half sheet pan using some of the
remaining butter. Place the sheet pan, upside down on a surface that
will prevent sliding. Working with one ball at a time, place the
dough ball onto the back of the sheet pan and roll the dough out to
an even 1/8" thickness. Gently stretch the edges of the dough so they
fall slightly below the edge of the pan and hold the dough in place.
Lightly brush the dough with butter, place on the middle rack of the
oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the
lavash to a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining dough, on a
cooled pan. Break each sheet into shapes and sizes as desired. Once
completely cooled, store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

Review: Easy and came out fantastic!

Review: Phenomenal recipe. Turned out really well. I'd suggest
topping with nigella, caraway seeds, or black sesame seeds if you
want some variety. Be sure to push the seeds into the raw dough a bit
before baking.

Review: Delicious! Fast, easy and so tasty.Don't poke holes in the
dough before you bake - lavash is supposed to have bubbles. I too
sprinkled kosher salt before baking. A sprinkling of freshly grated
parmesan cheese (gently pressed into the dough made this even more
delicious. Will definitely make this again.

Review: I've never made crackers before but I'm an avid baker. I
wanted a cracker that I had as part of the bread basket in a
restaurant recently. I topped the dough with nigella (black) and
white sesame seeds and sea salt before baking, also a light brushing
of olive oil. Also, I had substituted the sugar with about a
tablespoon of honey for more sweetness. The cracker was just ok. Good
recipe but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I think without
toppings, it would have been slightly bland.

Review: This is a very quick, easy and tasty recipe for Lavash. I was
used to the recipe that we used in culinary school, which has a
longer prep time as it has dry yeast in it and involves allowing the
dough to proof for 1 1/2 hours before rolling it out and baking. So
I'm glad to find a recipe that still has a good taste, yet doesn't
take as long to prepare. For additional flavor, I brushed the rolled
dough with extra virgin olive oil, instead of melted butter, then
sprinkled it with sea salt and a combination of white & black sesame
seeds (actually doing this before your last roll of the dough will
help the salt & seeds adhere to the dough better). I'll definitely be
making this again and again and maybe trying some fresh ground
parmesan cheese & cayenne on the next batches!

Review: These are my new favorite crackers. After trying pieces of
the first batch, my husband suggested sprinkling the dough with
kosher salt before baking, which I did, and I'm glad--they tasted
like buttery saltines! I can't wait to make this again.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lavash-recipe-1943445
Yield:
   "10 to 12"
                                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 209 Calories; 7g Fat (29.0%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
37mg Cholesterol; 242mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 1014

* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Crackers, Yeasted Lavash

Recipe By     :Jessamyn Waldman
Categories    : Crackers/Crisps/Pretzels        Ethnic
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast
   1 1/4           cups  lukewarm water
   4               cups  bread flour
      1/4           cup  extra-virgin olive oil
   2        tablespoons  honey
                         Kosher salt
                         Vegetable oil -- for rubbing
   1         tablespoon  za'atar
   1         tablespoon  sesame seeds -- and
   1         tablespoon  poppy seeds -- for sprinkling, see Note

Lavash can be a soft flatbread, but Jessamyn Waldman developed this
recipe based on Armenian-style lavash, which is very crisp and dusted
with seeds or spices.

Active: 45 MIN
Total: 2:30

In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, combine the yeast with 2
tablespoons of the water and let stand until moistened. Add the
flour, olive oil, honey, 2 teaspoons of salt and the remaining water.
Fit the mixer with the dough hook and mix on medium-low until a firm,
supple dough forms, 15 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a floured
surface and cut into thirds; let stand for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 325F. Lightly coat the underside of three
12-by-15" rimmed sheet pans with vegetable oil. On a floured surface,
roll out the dough to rectangles slightly larger than the sheet pans,
a scant 1/8" thick; if the dough springs back, let rest for a few
minutes before rolling again. Drape each rectangle over the underside
of each sheet pan so it hangs over the edge.

Sprinkle each rectangle with water, then sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon
of kosher salt and 1 tablespoon each of the za'atar and sesame and
poppy seeds (1 flavor per tray). Leave the dough whole or, using a
pastry wheel, cut it into twelve 3-by-5" pieces.

If you have 3 racks in your oven, bake 1 pan of lavash on each rack
for 40 minutes, until browned and crisp; shift the pans halfway
through baking. If you have 2 racks, bake the lavash in shifts for 35
minutes per batch. Transfer the lavash to racks and let cool. Break
the lavash as desired and serve.

Notes: Za'atar, a Middle Eastern mix of sesame seeds, herbs and
sumac, is available at specialty shops and from penzeys.com

S(Internet address):
   https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lavash-crackers

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 75 Calories; 2g Fat (24.0%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.