Light and Crispy Waffles

Sat, 09 Nov 2019 16:43:48 -0800
v119.n045.8
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Waffles, Light and Crispy

Recipe By     :Pam Anderson
Serving Size  : 7     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Pancakes/Waffles
                 Posted

      3/4           cup  all-purpose flour
      1/4           cup  cornstarch
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
      1/2      teaspoon  baking powder
      1/4      teaspoon  baking soda
      3/4           cup  buttermilk
   6        tablespoons  vegetable oil
      1/4           cup  whole milk
   1              large  egg -- separated
   1         tablespoon  sugar
      1/2      teaspoon  pure vanilla extract
                         Pure maple syrup -- for serving

When we made these dead-simple waffles from Pam Anderson's cookbook,
Cook Smart, their rich buttermilk flavor and crisp yet light texture
won over even longtime yeast-waffle fans. The recipe can be doubled,
tripled, even quadrupled. Don't stack the waffles - they will become
moist and limp. If necessary, recrisp directly on a rack in a 200F oven.

Total: 35 min
Serves: Makes about seven 3 3/4" square waffles

Preheat the oven to 200F. In a medium bowl, combine the flour,
cornstarch, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In a glass measuring
cup, blend the buttermilk, vegetable oil and milk. Beat in the egg
yolk. In a medium bowl, beat the egg white to softpeaks. Add the
sugar and beat until firm and glossy. Beat in the vanilla.

Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until
just blended. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the beaten egg
white until just incorporated.

Preheat an 8" square waffle iron and oil it lightly. Pour about 1 1/2
cups of the waffle batter into the preheated waffle iron and gently
smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake for 4 minutes, or until
browned and crisp.Transfer the waffles to the oven rack to keep warm
and repeat with the remaining batter. Serve at once with maple syrup.

Review: Made them today and they were so light and fluffy in the
inside and crispy on the outside. They were most excellent. We dipped
them in syrup and ate every single one of them.  Great recipe!

Review: Will definitely be making these again - and multiplying the
recipe!  In addition to being crispy, these were the lightest waffles
I have ever made, and quite tasty too.  I have never posted before,
and really not understanding the negative reviews for this one.

Review: OMG. These are the best waffles I've had since the ones I ate
in Brugge, many years ago.

Review: This was just awful... The waffles came out soft NOT CRISPY
and the first few got stuck to the waffle iron. I won't bother with
this recipe at all.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/light-and-crispy-waffles

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 204 Calories; 13g Fat (57.7%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 32mg Cholesterol; 275mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0810