Honey Wheat Bagels

Tue, 11 Feb 2020 19:12:45 -0800
v120.n007.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Bagels, Honey Wheat

Recipe By     :Jennifer Schall
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   1 1/2           cups  bread flour
   1           teaspoon  Kosher salt
   2 1/4      teaspoons  Red Star PLATINUM Yeast -- (1 packet) Note
   1 1/4           cups  warm water
   2        tablespoons  honey
   1 1/2           cups  white whole wheat flour -- (to 2 C)
                         Water -- for boiling
   1          teaspoons  additional honey -- optional, (to 2 tsp)

While I originally attempted the recipe with all whole wheat flour,
I've found that adding some traditional bread flour back in helped
the bagels to have that nice chewy bagel texture that we all love. I
also chose to use white whole wheat flour because it has a more
delicate flavor that I think pairs beautifully with honey. I not only
made them plain, but I've added chocolate chip and made a cinnamon
raisin version. Each variety turned out well, and they were all
gobbled up quickly.

Note - Red Star Dry Active Yeast will work, too. It will just rise a
bit more slowly.

In the bowl of your stand mixer, whisk together the bread flour,
salt, and yeast. In a liquid measuring cup, stir together the warm
water (approximately 110F) and 2 tablespoons of honey.  Add the
liquid to the mixing bowl. Fit the mixer with the beater attachment,
and beat for 2 - 3 minutes on medium-low, until the mixture is smooth.

Switch to the dough hook, and gradually add the white whole wheat
flour. Add about 1 1/2 cups and let the dough knead on the slowest
setting for a minute or two. If the dough still seems very sticky
(this will depend on the weather and other factors), add an
additional 1/2 cup of white whole wheat flour. Continue to knead the
dough until it forms a smooth ball, an additional minute or two.

Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl and cover with a damp
towel. Let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled in
volume and the imprint of two fingers remains when pressed lightly
into the dough.

Once the dough has risen, punch it down and transfer it to a lightly
floured surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Cover again
with the damp towel and let the dough rest for 10 - 15 minutes.

While the dough rests, prepare a baking sheet with a piece of
parchment paper or a silicone liner and set aside. Preheat the oven to 425F.

After allowing the dough to rest, shape each piece into a smooth ball
and then press your thumb down into the center of the ball to shape
the dough into a bagel shape. Transfer the bagels to the prepared
baking sheet, and cover the bagels again to let them rest for an
additional 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add a teaspoon
or two of honey to the water (optional). Gently place the bagels into
the boiling water, a few at a time. Let the bagels boil for 90
seconds before flipping them over to boil on the other side for an
additional 90 seconds. Transfer the bagels back to the prepared baking sheet.

Bake the bagels for 20 minutes. Let the bagels cool on the baking
sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Want to add some mix-ins to your bagels? It's simple! Before dividing
the dough into 8 pieces, simply flatten the dough into a rectangle
roughly 10" by 16". Sprinkle your mix-ins (cinnamon, raisins, dried
blueberries, chocolate chips, etc.) on the dough and then roll it up
into a long roll. Then, cut the dough into 8 even portions and let it
rise before shaping the bagels.

Source:
   "Inspired by The Sophisticated Gourmet"
S(Internet address):
   http://www.mykitchenaddiction.com/2014/02/honey-wheat-bagels/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 191 Calories; 1g Fat (4.1%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 239mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 1115