Sally Lunn Batter Bread

Tue, 14 Apr 2020 17:22:43 -0700
v120.n016.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Bread, Sally Lunn Batter

Recipe By     :Jeanne Voss
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted                          Side Dish

   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1/4 oz)
      1/2           cup  warm water -- (110 to 115F)
   1                cup  whole milk -- warm, (110 to 115F)
      1/2           cup  butter -- softened
      1/4           cup  sugar
   2           teaspoon  salt
   3              large  eggs
   5 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour -- (to 6C)
                         HONEY BUTTER:
      1/2           cup  butter -- softened
      1/2           cup  honey

The tantalizing aroma of this golden loaf baking always draws people
into my mother's kitchen. With its circular shape, it's a pretty
bread, too. I've never seen it last more than 2 hours once it's out
of the oven!

Prep: 15 min. + rising
Bake: 25 min.

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter,
sugar, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough
remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Stir the dough down. Spoon into a greased and floured 10" tube pan.
Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Bake at 400F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
pan to a wire rack to cool.

Combine the honey butter ingredients until smooth. Serve with bread.

Cal 326, Fat 13g, Carb 46g, Sod 431mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 6g

Review: I love that it's a no knead bread. It came together super
fast, but I do think I went about 1/4c too much flour at the end. I
still was happy with the texture inside and the crust. I did omit the
honey butter that was listed with the original recipe. Leftovers were
great as is, but also made amazing toast with a little homemade jam.
It held well for several days wrapped tightly.

Review: Havent made this bread for years. It's even better than I
remembered. Toasted with marmalade is my favourite. Slice and put in
freezer. Excellent! This recipe is superb!! You have to try it! Only
thing I did different was adding a couple of tblspoons of my
sourdough. I sometimes add lemon rind and juice of half a lemon.

Review: Excellent bread, great with Pot Roast!

Question: Can I substitute bread flour for all-purpose flour?

Review: Definitely a make-again. So easy to make and delicious.

Review: Very tasty! Mine started browning way too fast, so I just
covered it with aluminum foil. Thanks for sharing!!

Review: I have been making this family favorite for years. It is easy
and delicious, makes fantastic toast. I prefer to bake it in two loaf
pans so that it is easier to slice.

Review: I was worried as my first rise wasn't very pronounced, but I
went ahead with it and gave it additional time on the 2nd. It baked
quickly and tastes great. flaky crusty. Great with regular butter.
I'd definitely try again and use fresher yeast just in case that was
my problem!

Review: Pretty good bread. With it being a slightly sweet bread, we
liked it better with regular butter more than the honey butter.

Review: Love this bread! The directions were a little confusing, and
for some reason the top of the bread got really brown but the middle
didn't cook completely, but I think this was my own fault because I
put it on a really high rack in the oven. But this bread is
definitely now one of my absolute favorites! It's delicious! I didn't
even make the honey butter, the bread tastes fantastic even without
it! Definitely recommend this recipe!

Review: Wonderful! Because there is only 2 of us, we couldn't finish
it, but it made nice toast the next day (s) too.

Review: Will be making this easy bread again and again. I served this
with the honey butter and it was loved by all. My husband hosted
poker the night I made this bread. When I went to get another piece
it was gone! Big hit with the guys. I have this pictured on my page. YUM!

Review: This bread is great; and so easy to make with no kneading.
Tastes best fresh from the oven.

Review: This is so good, can't stop eating it once it comes out of
the oven. It's addicting.

Review: My family loved it! It was gone before the main course was served.

Review: i like this bread fairly well...i like it best fresh out of
the oven with honey or just plain butter!

Review: Very nice sweet bread. Great toasted!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sally-lunn-batter-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 327 Calories; 13g Fat (36.6%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
73mg Cholesterol; 406mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0414