Banana Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls

Thu, 07 May 2020 00:41:41 -0700
v120.n019.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                   Rolls, Banana Chocolate Chip Cinnamon

Recipe By     :Sally
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Fruit
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Muffins/Rolls                   Posted

                         Rolls
   2 3/4           cups  all-purpose flour -- (spoon & leveled) (345g)
   3        Tablespoons  granulated sugar -- (45g)
   1           teaspoon  salt
   2 1/4            tsp  Red Star Platinum yeast -- Note
      1/2           cup  water -- (120ml)
      1/4           cup  skim milk -- (60ml)
   2 1/2    Tablespoons  unsalted butter -- (38g)
   1              large  egg
                         Filling
   2        Tablespoons  unsalted butter -- softened to room temperature, (30g)
      1/2           cup  mashed banana -- (2 small bananas)
   1 1/2    Tablespoons  ground cinnamon
      1/4           cup  granulated sugar -- (50g)
      1/3           cup  mini chocolate chips -- (60g)
                         Vanilla Glaze
   1                cup  confectioners' sugar -- (120g)
   1           teaspoon  vanilla extract -- pure
   1         Tablespoon  heavy cream -- (15ml)

Sinfully delicious cinnamon rolls filled with bananas, chocolate
chips, and drizzled with thick vanilla glaze.

Note: Red Star Platinum Superior Baking Yeast contains dough enhancer.

Prep: 2 hours
Cook: 30 minutes
Total: 3 hours
Yield: 10-11 cinnamon rolls

Make the dough: Set aside 1/2 cup of flour. In a large bowl, toss the
remaining flour, sugar, salt, and yeast together until evenly
dispersed. Set aside.

Heat the water, milk, and butter together in the microwave until the
butter is melted and the mixture is hot to touch. About 115F
(46C)-120F (49C). Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture.
Add the egg and only enough of the reserved flour to make a soft
dough. I only needed 1/3 cup, but you may need the full 1/2 cup.
Dough will be ready when it gently pulls away from the side of the
bowl and has an elastic consistency.

On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about 5-6 minutes.
Place in a lightly greased bowl (I used non-stick spray) and let rest
for about 10 minutes.

Make the filling: After 10 minutes, roll the dough out in a 14x8 inch
rectangle. In a small bowl, mix the mashed banana with the softened
butter. Spread over the dough. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar
and sprinkle it all over the banana/butter. Top with 1/3 cup
chocolate chips. Roll up the dough tightly. Cut into 10-11 even
pieces and place in a lightly greased 9-inch round pan. I used a pie
dish, lightly sprayed with nonstick spray.

Loosely cover the rolls with aluminum foil and allow to rise in a
warm, draft-free place for 60-90 minutes. Here is what I do: heat the
oven to 200F (93C). Turn oven off. Place rolls inside oven and allow to rise.

After the rolls have doubled in size, preheat the oven to 375F
(191C). Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned. I covered the
rolls with aluminum foil after 15 minutes to avoid heavy browning on top.

Make the glaze: Right before serving, top your cinnamon rolls with
glaze. Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream together until
smooth and drizzle over rolls. *If you don't have cream, you may use
milk instead. This will create a thinner glaze. Add more powdered
sugar to thicken and then add salt to cut the extra sweetness, if desired.

Rolls are best enjoyed the same day, but stay fresh and soft in a
covered container for 5 days. Glaze the rolls immediately before serving.

Overnight Instructions: The dough may be made the night before
through step 4. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in the
refrigerator overnight. The next morning, remove from the
refrigerator and let rise, about 1 hour.

Yeast: If you replace Red Star Platinum with regular active dry
yeast, you rise time may be 50% longer.

Cream: If you don't have cream, you may use milk instead. This will
create a thinner glaze.

Review: Oh-mah-gosh! Loving this flavor combo for cinnamon rolls!
Bananas and chocolate together as a combo is up there with peanut
butter and chocolate. Fabulous idea! Thanks ever so much for sharing.

Review: I just tried these today and they are amazing! Everyone is
trying them right now, the presentation they allow is just great. I'm
just 15 by the way and I love your site.

Review: I tried out this recipe today and my rolls turned out too
hard any idea what could have gone wrong? I used instant yeast btw.

Response: Perhaps you added too much flour back into the dough. Only
add as much back into the dough from the 1/2 cup of flour that you
reserved to make the dough workable. Sometimes I don't have to add
ANY extra. OR you kneaded the dough for a tad too long. And/or they
were overbaked. Without being there, I can't tell you exactly what
went wrong but those are my guesses.

Question: These look delicious. Can I make them ahead of time and
freeze them? Thanks!
Response: You sure can! Make sure you do not freeze them with the
glaze. Glaze only before serving. Enjoy!

Review: We made them today and they were absolutely amazing! Truly heavenly.

Question: I fell in love with this recipe as soon as I saw it. It
combined everything I love! Chocolate, bananas,
dough...butter...deliciousness...

However, I had trouble when I went to go cut the roll and bananas
oozed out everywhere. Do you have any tips on cutting? (I must admit,
however, that I did smear a little layer of nutella before putting
the banana mix on top. But I left some room around the borders-like
in your picture-to account for that.
Response: Maybe your bananas were on the large side and there was
just too much of it. That's my only guess. Try two very small bananas
next time or 1 large banana. Adding Nutella - amazing!!

Review: I just made these and they turned out delicious (of course!)!
But I had the same problem as Maddy. What a mess when I went to roll
it up. I definitely had too much banana mixture, so I'll go lighter
on that next time.

I also had to add almost 2 tbsps of milk to my frosting (I didn't
have heavy cream) to make it runny enough to drizzle.

Thank you so much for this recipe! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your website!
Response: I'll add that to the recipe notes for other readers - use
very small bananas! Thank you for your feedback. Happy you loved them!

Question: Can I leave them in the oven to rise overnight and just
bake them in the am?  Or do they have to be refrigerated?  I'm trying
to save some time in the morning.  If these are anywhere near as good
as the raspberry sweet rolls I'm in trouble!!!!
Response: Refrigerator is best- the rolls will rise much too high in
the warm environment.

Question: I'm looking to make these for my banana obsessed brother
for his birthday next week. However, he's a massive banana and peanut
butter fan! Do you have any suggestions as to where I could slip some
peanut butter in? I was thinking perhaps a peanut butter glaze...
Response: a peanut butter glaze would be fantastic! For an easy PB
glaze, warm 1/4 cup peanut butter with about 1/3 cup of milk on low
heat, whisking constantly until melted and smooth.

Review: UMM. I made these today. Took into advisement, about the size
of the banana, leaving enough empty space to roll, and not use all
the 1/2 cup flour. Let me say, they smell amazing. How I'm going to
cut them, is a totally different thing. I let them rise, less than 60
mins. Oh yes, they doubled, I'd say tripled in size. To the point
that I had dough dripping on the bottom of the oven and the rack. I
went ahead and flipped them on a sheet pan and baked them off.

So, this afternoon is cleaning the oven - thank goodness for self
cleaning ovens.

Review: Wow, just wow. I used 1.5 bananas to equal 1/2 cup, regular
active dry yeast, and whole milk. My 13 rolls chilled in the fridge
overnight, sat on a warm counter for 1.5 hours in the morning, and
took 25 minutes to bake. Per another comment's suggestion, I made a
peanut butter glaze AND Sally's vanilla glaze. Both were tasty, but
vanilla was the house favorite. I make cinnamon rolls pretty
frequently and will definitely be adding these into the rotation. The
banana/chocolate/cinnamon combo was perfect.

S(Internet address):
   https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/banana-chocolate-chip-cinnamon-rolls/
Yield:
   "10 to 11"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 319 Calories; 9g Fat (24.7%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 56g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
37mg Cholesterol; 227mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0506