Bread, Smashed-Banana

Sat, 13 Jun 2020 17:12:34 -0700
v120.n024.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Bread, Smashed-Banana

Recipe By     :Gilda Bain-pew
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Nuts
                 Quickbread                      Stand Mixer

      1/2           cup  pecans -- chopped
   1 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour
      3/4      teaspoon  baking powder
      3/4      teaspoon  baking soda
      3/4      teaspoon  fine sea salt
   2              large  eggs
   1 1/2           cups  smashed very ripe banana
      1/4           cup  sour cream -- plus
   2        tablespoons  sour cream
   1           teaspoon  pure vanilla extract
      3/4      teaspoon  banana liqueur -- or dark rum
   5        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- softened, plus more for serving
   1                cup  granulated sugar
                         Confectioners' sugar -- for dusting

At Dovecote Cafe in Baltimore, this banana bread is one of many
awesome baked goods served on a daily basis. The recipe comes from
owner Aisha Pew's mother, Gilda Bain-Pew, and includes super-ripe
bananas and a hit of banana liqueur (but it's still quite good
without the liqueur).

Active:30 MIN
Total: 2:10
Serves: One 9" loaf

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9-by-5" metal loaf pan with
nonstick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper, allowing 2"
of overhang on the 2 long sides. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet
and toast for about 7 minutes, until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda
and salt.¨In another bowl, beat the eggs with the banana, sour cream,
vanilla and banana liqueur until combined.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle or using a hand mixer, beat
the 5 tablespoons of butter with the granulated sugar at medium speed
until fluffy, about 2 minutes. At low speed, gradually beat in the
wet ingredients until incorporated, then beat in the dry ingredients
until just combined; fold in the toasted pecans.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the center of the
oven for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into
the center of the loaf comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack
and let cool for 45 minutes, then turn the bread out onto the rack
and let cool completely. Dust the top with confectioners' sugar, cut
into slices and serve with softened butter.

Make Ahead: The bread can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for
up to 1 week.

Review: Growing up eons ago, my mom's banana bread was always a huge
treat.  Her recipe was lost years ago and since then I've tried
dozens of recipes in search of something close to Mom's.  Found
it!  So moist, so delicious, it's a real challenge for me to wait for
the bread to cool after coming out of the oven before I cut a big
slice, slather it with butter (because Mom put butter on
everything!), and enjoy.  First two loaves I made without banana
liqueur or dark rum and they were outstanding.  Next three loaves I
made with the dark rum and they were equally delicious.  Make. This. Bread.

Review: Have a fav. banana bread recipe dating back to my high school
home ec. class. Never thought about finding a replacement recipe.
Then this recipe from Food & Wine caught my attention; being
sequestered during Coronavirus wanted to try. Surprisingly, I am over
the moon with this recipe and made it exactly as instructed. Will
make again . . . and again. My former, more ingredient recipe just
got replaced. One question: can Smashed-Banana Bread recipe be
doubled? Thank you.

Review: Not only is it the best . . . but I use almond
flour..  Delish.  Love it.

Review: amazing bread!  I did not add the alcohol and I'm lactose
intolerant, so I used vegan butter and sour cream.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/smashed-banana-bread

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 188 Calories; 8g Fat (36.8%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
39mg Cholesterol; 183mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0613