Fluffy Buttermilk Drop Biscuits (corrected)

Jeff Dwork <jeff@jeff-and-reggie.com>
Sun, 12 Jul 2020 20:23:43 -0700
v120.n028.6
The version of this in bread-bakers on 6 June 2020

https://bread-bakers.com/msgs/v120n023/msg00000.html

omitted the baking soda. Here's the corrected version with comments.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                      Biscuits, Fluffy Buttermilk Drop

Recipe By     :Sidney Fry, Ms, Rd
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Posted

   5 5/8         ounces  unbleached all-purpose -- (about 1 1/4C)
   3 5/8         ounces  white whole wheat flour -- (about 3/4C)
   2          teaspoons  baking powder
   1           teaspoon  sugar
      3/4      teaspoon  salt
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
      1/4           cup  unsalted butter
   1 1/4           cups  nonfat buttermilk -- very cold
   1         tablespoon  canola oil

When the warm butter meets the cold buttermilk, it will begin to form
clumps - little droplets of fat throughout the liquid - a sign of
success. The pockets ensure even distribution of fat throughout the
batter, creating a lighter biscuit with less butter.

Hands-on: 7 Mins
Total: 21 Mins
  Serving size: 1 biscuits

Preheat oven to 450F.

Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a
knife. Combine flours, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda in
a large bowl, stirring with a whisk to combine.

Place butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 1 minute
or until completely melted. Add cold buttermilk, stirring until
butter forms small clumps. Add oil, stirring to combine.

Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir with a rubber spatula
until just incorporated (do not overmix) and batter pulls away from
sides of bowl. (Batter will be very wet.)

Drop batter in mounds of 2 heaping tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet
lined with parchment paper. Bake at 450F for 11 minutes or until
golden. Cool 3 minutes; serve warm.

Cal 133, Fat 5g, Carb 18g, Sod 305mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 4g

Review: I was so impressed that, from now on, this will be my go-to
recipe for biscuits. Like a previous reviewer, I used regular
whole-wheat flour as I already had that and did not want to buy white
whole-wheat flour as well. Other than that, I followed the recipe
exactly. I did not add more sugar like some other reviewers, as we
don't like our biscuits too sweet. I did however bake them in a
muffin-cup pan greased with baking spray, and they rose beautifully.
I did bake them for a few minutes longer, so that the outside was
wonderfully crunchy but the inside was deliciously fluffy and tender.
The level of sweetness was just right. The best drop biscuits ever!

Review: My husband has a long standing history with biscuits
(although he's never made them for me), and gave them a little lower
rating because they were a little more dense than he'd wanted, but
for a drop biscuit I know they will be a little more so so I wasn't
worried as much.  They are easy and a nice addition to a flavorful
salad or soup when you don't want to overpower the flavors with the bread.

Review: These are fantastic--so tender and perfectly fluffy. I used
regular whole wheat flour, and after reading other reviews, used 2
tsp of sugar instead of 1. I will definitely make these again and again.

Review: I made these as a quick bread side to go along with dinner a
couple nights ago. After reading the reviews, I was a little nervous
because of the one reviewer who said these were the most awful
biscuits she'd ever made, but since most other reviewers liked them,
I decided to give them a try. I made the recipe exactly but for
increasing the sugar to 2 teaspoons since some reviewers said they
weren't quite sweet enough. I liked the addition of the white wheat
flour to add a texture and healthier element. I also combined 1 TBP +
3/4 tsp of white vinegar and fat free milk to made the buttermilk.
The recipe also says that the butter should form small clumps when
you mix it with the milk, but mine did not and so I thought something
went wrong. However, on the top description, it refers to the clumps
as little droplets of fat which is a lot more accurate than clumps,
which do not happen. These biscuits turned out great! Light texture,
nutty flavor, and quick to make! Plan to make again!

Review: Very good for a "healthier" biscuit. I will make these again!

Source:
   "Tastes of Italia, Nov/Dec 2013"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/fluffy-buttermilk-drop-biscuits

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 133 Calories; 5g Fat (36.4%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
11mg Cholesterol; 295mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0
Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2014 - 0922
2019 - 1025 updates
2020 - 0712 corrections