Basic Homemade Bread (update)

Jeff Dwork <jeff@jeff-and-reggie.com>
Sun, 12 Jul 2020 21:24:54 -0700
v120.n029.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Bread, Basic Homemade

Recipe By     :Sandra Anderson
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1/4 oz)
   2 1/4           cups  warm water -- (110 to 115F)
   3        tablespoons  sugar -- plus
      1/2      teaspoon  sugar
   1         tablespoon  salt
   2        tablespoons  canola oil
   6 1/4           cups  bread flour -- (to 6-3/4C)

If you'd like to learn how to bake bread, here's a wonderful place to
start. This easy white bread recipe bakes up deliciously golden
brown. There's nothing like the homemade aroma wafting through my
kitchen as it bakes.

Prep: 20 min. + rising
Bake: 30 min.
Makes: 2 loaves

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in warm water;
let stand until bubbles form on surface. Whisk together remaining 3
tablespoons sugar, salt, and 3 cups flour. Stir oil into yeast
mixture; pour into flour mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in
enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10
minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.
Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough
in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in 2 greased 9x5" loaf pans.
Cover and let rise until doubled, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

Bake at 375F until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped
or has reached an internal temperature of 200F, 30-35 minutes. Remove
from pans to wire racks to cool.

You can store homemade bread in a plastic bag or a bread box for
maximum freshness. If you don't think you can finish it in a few
days' time, you can also freeze bread. Just wrap it up in plastic and
pop in the freezer. It'll keep for a few months. If your bread has
gone a bit stale, you can always use it to make homemade croutons,
French toast or bread pudding.

Cal 102, Fat 1g, Carb 20g, Sod 222mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Review: We love this basic bread. It turned out perfectly and taste
wonderful!! It's a keeper.

Review: I have made this bread a couple times and love it.. I only
had rapid rise yeast.. So i only had to let it rise once.. I just put
all the ingredients in a stand up mixer bowl together and mix and
then add my bread attachment and finish adding the flower.. After you
mix it and if you use Rapid yeast let it rest for 10 minutes then cut
in half put in the pan and let rise and turn the oven on and bake
them.. Best bread recipe ever..

Review: Fantastic bread recipe. It takes our family about three days
to go through a loaf of bread so I refrigerated half the dough after
kneading it the first time. It continues to rise in the fridge so
make sure you put it in a container with room for it to double and a
tight fitting lid. Took it out today, punched it down, shaped for the
second loaf and continued the recipe from there - it turned out perfectly!

Review: This was my 1st time making homemade bread. Complete
success!! It came out perfect.

Review: loved it and it was easy!

Review: This recipe is AMAZING!!! I am a complete Newbie when it
comes to bread. I can make pizza dough like a pro but bread has
always intimidated me. Using bread flour in my recipe was my first
priority, second was no milk or egg. This recipe was easy to follow
and ended up with a bread better than the bakery (my picky eater's
words)! I used a dough hook on my mixer and after was pulled
together, i hand kneaded it for about 4 minutes longer. The most
perfect bread ever!!! Don't be intimidated, just follow written
directions fully. ONLY thing I would add is to put the rack toward
the bottom so the "poof" of the bread is in the middle of the oven
when it's risen and browning. THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

Review: I never succeeded at making bread until I used this recipe. I
highly suggest you follow the link on how to proof your bread. What a
difference it made! I never watched the video, I simply followed the
written directions.

Review: So this is a great recipe for ingredients but terrible
directions and video. I used the recipe as stated (except I didn't
need quite as much flour) but followed mixing, kneading, rising, and
shaping instructions from YouTuber "bake with Jack". Seriously, do
yourself a favor and watch his yeasted bread tutorial then make this
following his directions. You won't regret it. I've made bread before
but it's never turned out as good as after I used his instructions
with this recipe. The combo will reward you with amazing delicious
bread every time. Happy baking!

Review: This recipe is easy and l nailed it the first time will never
buy bread again.

Review: This is really good bread, but I agree, not every home
kitchen has a stand mixer. Last year, I bought a Hamilton Beach auto
bread maker for around $40 at Walmart. Even has a gluten free
setting. Either bake the loaf in the machine, or pull the dough out
to shape, proof and bake as you wish. Why, or why didn't I do this
sooner? Even a moron baker like me turns out fabulous breads and rolls!

Review: I made this recipe as directed, turned out almost perfect. I
love it!! The next time I made it I did not have the Active Dry
Yeast. I substituted rapid yeast (aka instant yeast) and the bread
turned out even better. I did not change anything except of
activating the yeast. Really fluffy and still full bodied. There is a
slight change in flavor, it is has a little less yeast smell, but not
anything to change my mind. I highly recommend this recipe,
especially for the first time baker. this is almost fool proof

Review: If this is supposed to be a recipe for beginning bread makers
(which I'm not) and you make a video to give added
instruction...Shouldn't the video do it like the recipe states? In
the video she doesn't put the half teaspoon in with the water and
yeast, she doesn't show any bubbles on top of the yeast, and she
doesn't let it rise a second time. I made this recipe to the best of
my abilities, followed the written recipe to the letter, and I'm with
the other writers who experienced a fiasco. I don't see how there can
be so many rave reviews. What really makes me angry is I WASTED 6
cups flour and a pkg of yeast at a time when those 2 supplies are
hard to come by. If I could give this recipe and the author a
negative interger of stars I would.

Source:
   "Originally published as Homemade Bread in The Taste of Home
Cookbook 1st edition"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/basic-homemade-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 110 Calories; 1g Fat (10.9%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 201mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2
Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0210
2020 - 0411 corrected