Amish White Bread

Sun, 13 Sep 2020 20:46:30 -0700
v120.n034.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Bread, Amish White

Recipe By     :Judith Hanneman
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

   1                cup  warm water -- (110F)
      1/3           cup  sugar
   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- OR 2 tsp SAF yeast*
      3/4           tsp  salt
   2                tbs  vegetable oil
   3               cups  bread flour -- or all-purpose

The Amish sure know how to make great food, and this recipe for
Homemade Amish White Bread is a perfect example. There's nothing
better than a warm spice of homemade bread with a little butter to
warm you from the inside out. It's easy to make, and making homemade
bread is a fantastic way to take your meals to the next level. Make
this bread into toast or start your morning on a sweet note by making
it into French toast! However you eat this tasty bread, it's sure to please.

COOK: 2:30
TOTAL: 2:30

*SAF yeast is often called "Bread Machine Yeast" or "Instant Yeast."

In a large bowl, combine the warm water, the sugar and the yeast.
Stir and let stand for about 10 minutes-this is "proofing" the yeast.
If you get a bubbly foam on the top of the water, your yeast is
active and you may proceed.

Add the salt and vegetable oil. Stir to combine.

Add the flour, one cup at a time until a soft dough forms. You may
have to use more flour depending on weather conditions. For instance,
today I needed close to 3 3/4 cups of all-purpose to get this right.
The dough should be soft but NOT sticky.

Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes. If
using a stand mixer with a dough hook, knead for about 3 minutes.

Pour some oil (about 1 tsp) in a large bowl and place the kneaded
dough in that bowl, coating the bottom of the dough with the oil.
Turn oil-side up and cover the bowl with a greased piece of plastic wrap.

Set the bowl in a warm draft-free place** and let rise until double
in bulk-between 1-1 1/2 hours.

Punch dough down. Turn out on lightly floured surface and shape into
a loaf-this is done by pressing the dough into a sort of rectangle
then rolling up tightly from the smaller end. Seal edges and place in
a 9 x 5" loaf pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Cover
with greased plastic wrap and place in a warm draft-free** place to
rise until double in bulk-when loaf is about 1" higher than the side
of the pan. This should take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour
depending on temperature/humidity conditions.

Heat oven to 350F. Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes.

Remove from pan and cool completely on a rack.

Question: Is there a way to make this bread in a bread machine?

Response: Yep-you can make it in a bread machine. I have. The
instructions are in the post, but basically add liquids first, ending
with flour & yeast on the top. Bake on "basic" cycle.

Review: If you use the SAF yeast you only have to let it rise one
time before baking. I mix the ingredients, let the kitchen Aid mix it
for 8 to 10 minutes on #2, then putting into pan for rising.
I didn't find out this information about the yeast until I had been
making bread for a couple of years. I went to the different yeast
sites, and they informed me that there was only one rise with the
instant yeast. Really saves a lot of time.

Review: This bread is amazing. I won't make any other white bread
again. Its so simple and tastes exactly like Hawaiian bread. I'm
trying today to make recipe into rolls. Have you ever done? I want to
make them for Christmas.
P.S. my house is drafty too. I put a heating pad on high, wrap in
towel then sit bowl on top and cover with rest of towel. Been doing
for years with yeast and it works wonderfully. I get very huge light
rolls/bread. Thank you!

Review: This bread is just the greatest. Hard to believe with such
simple and yes, CHEAP ingredients. I like the idea about the heating
pad!!! Oh the hacks we go through living in old housesâ?¦PS-I don't
even have an exhaust fan or hood.

Review: I follow the recipe till the bread goes into the pan. Instead
of putting it in the pan, I wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the
refrigerator or the freezer. When I am ready to cook it I take it out
let it get to room temperature, then follow the recipe. I hope this helps.

Question: I want to make this in the machine. Do I use the regular or
sweet setting???

Review: I always used the basic/white setting Jan. If "regular" is
your basic setting, that's the one to use!

Review: This is the BEST bread I've ever eaten and I remember I was
quite dubious the first time I made it because I couldn't imagine
such cheap ingredients could make such a spectacular bread!

I actually made this to test my new (then) breadmaker and wouldn't
fret if it didn't turn out because the ingredients were so
inexpensive. This turned out to be a keeper!

Review: I believe I used the 2 lb setting on mine when I used to make
it in the machine, Brenda. Pretty sure 3 cups flour is close to the
maximum you can use in (older) bread machines-which mine is.

Review: You'd be good with the coconut oil.

Review: No matter how tight you roll it, you still get the circles-I
found that when I did the rectangle/fold/rectangle procedure, I still
got the circles, so I no longer bother. The bread is so good, no one
is like to notice!

Review: I just found your page and haven't had time to really check
out all your recipes. I found this one and read the reviews and had
to try it. I guess your french bread is next!

S(Internet address):
   https://bakeatmidnite.com/amish-white-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 167 Calories; 3g Fat (15.6%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 135mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2
Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0603