Buttermilk Sandwich Bread

Sat, 19 Sep 2020 17:15:30 -0700
v120.n035.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Bread, Buttermilk Sandwich

Recipe By     :Jennifer Schall
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   1                cup  buttermilk
      1/3           cup  boiling water
   3        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- softened
   3        tablespoons  maple syrup
   2               cups  bread flour -- divided
   2 1/4      teaspoons  active dry yeast
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   1 1/2           cups  whole wheat flour -- (to 2C)

I often bake my sandwich bread with some plain yogurt, but since I
had buttermilk in the fridge this time around, I decided to use that
for the majority of the liquid in the recipe.  As the recipe
suggested, I mixed the buttermilk with a small amount of boiling
water to properly warm the liquids, and it worked like a charm.  I
also opted to sweeten the bread with some maple syrup and use part
whole wheat flour for a heartier taste.

Makes: 1 loaf

Begin by stirring together the buttermilk, boiling water, butter, and
maple syrup in a large mixing bowl.  Add 1 cup of bread flour, yeast,
and salt.  Beat the mixture with a dough whisk or a wooden spoon
until it is smooth.

Gradually add the remaining bread flour and the whole wheat flour
until a soft dough forms and begins to pull away from the sides of
the mixing bowl.

Knead the dough (either in the bowl, which is my preference, or on a
lightly floured surface) for about 5 - 7 minutes, until the dough is
smooth and elastic.  Add only enough flour to keep the dough from
sticking to your hands.

Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Let
the dough rise until it has just about doubled in volume and the
imprint of two fingers remains.

Punch down the bread dough and shape it into a loaf. Transfer the
loaf to a lightly greased loaf pan.  Cover and let rise again until
the dough is puffy and an imprint remains when the loaf is touched on the side.

As the dough rises the second time, preheat the oven to 350.  Bake
the bread for 40 - 45 minutes, until golden on top and hollow
sounding when tapped lightly. Carefully transfer the loaf from the
pan to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.

Source:
   "Adapted from The New Best Recipe"
S(Internet address):
   http://www.mykitchenaddiction.com/2012/09/buttermilk-sandwich-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 182 Calories; 4g Fat (18.3%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
8mg Cholesterol; 290mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 1220