Pumpkin-Walnut Baked French Toast with Maple-Coffee Syrup

Tue, 06 Oct 2020 21:42:19 -0700
v120.n038.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

  French Toast, Pumpkin-Walnut Baked French Toast with Maple-Coffee Syrup

Recipe By     :Diabetic Living Magazine
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Hand Made
                 Posted

                         Pumpkin-Walnut Baked French Toast
   6               cups  wheat bread -- cubed & dried reduced-calorie (8 ozs)
   1 1/2           cups  2% fat-free milk
   1 1/4           cups  egg beaters 99% egg substitute -- thawed, or Note:
      3/4           cup  canned pumpkin
      1/4           cup  packed brown sugar -- (see Tip)
   1           teaspoon  ground cinnamon
      1/4      teaspoon  ground nutmeg
   1                cup  chopped walnuts -- toasted (see Tip)
                         Maple-Coffee Syrup
   2        tablespoons  granulated sugar -- (see Tip)
   1         tablespoon  cornstarch
      2/3           cup  water
   1           teaspoon  instant coffee crystals
      1/3           cup  reduced-calorie maple-flavor syrup
      1/2      teaspoon  vanilla
   1              slice  Banana slices -- fresh raspberries and/or
fresh blueberries

This overnight French toast recipe is especially tasty with the
addition of canned pumpkin and spices. Topped with a coffee-flavored
maple syrup and optional fruit, it's sure to be a fall or winter
favorite with everyone at your table.

Note: 3 eggs, lightly beaten  refrigerated or frozen

Active: 25 mins
Total: 2:55

Coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange
the dried bread cubes in the prepared baking dish.

In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, pumpkin, brown sugar,
cinnamon and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually pour egg mixture over
bread; press lightly with the back of a large spoon to moisten bread.
Sprinkle walnuts evenly over bread. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 350F. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until
a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand for 10
minutes before serving.

Meanwhile, prepare syrup: In a small saucepan, combine sugar and
cornstarch. Whisk in water. Cook and stir over medium heat until
thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the
heat and stir in instant coffee crystals, syrup and vanilla.

Cut French toast and divide among serving plates. If desired, garnish
with banana slices. Drizzle with warm syrup; serve warm.

Tips: We do not recommend using sugar substitutes for this recipe.
To toast nuts, spread in a shallow baking pan lined with parchment
paper. Bake in a 350F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden,
shaking pan once or twice.

Cal 257, Fat 10g, Carb 31g, Sod 230mg, Fiber 5g, Pro 12g

Review: A dairy-free version with real ingredients and traditional
stove-top method: This recipe is amazing. I made a few modifications
as I do not eat dairy so I substituted Silk vanilla almond milk (my
fave). In addition I also substituted strong espresso coffee (made in
a stove-top espresso maker) for the suggested water and instant
coffee crystals and used real Quebecois maple syrup. I skipped the
overnight soak and baking--and cooked the french toast as per regular
then topped it with roasted walnuts. I skipped the pumpkin just
because that would need to soak. I will do the overnight baked
version soon. Both the french toast batter and maple-coffee sauce was
to die for; it could be used as a cake filling. OMG. Seriously. This
recipe is a must try with endless possibilities. Well done eating well!!

S(Internet address):
   http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/268847/pumpkin-walnut-baked-french-toast-with-maple-coffee-syrup/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 682 Calories; 18g Fat (23.0%
calories from fat); 25g Protein; 109g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary
Fiber; 6mg Cholesterol; 1041mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 6 Grain(Starch); 1
Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat; 1 Other
Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1006