Pumpkin Greek Yogurt Banana Bread

Fri, 16 Oct 2020 21:40:37 -0700
v120.n040.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Banana Bread, Pumpkin Greek Yogurt

Recipe By     :Kevin Lynch
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Fruit
                 Low Fat                         Nuts
                 Posted                          Quickbread
                 Vegetarian

   1                cup  all-purpose flour
      3/4           cup  whole wheat flour -- or all-purpose flour
   1           teaspoon  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
   1           teaspoon  cinnamon
      1/2      teaspoon  ginger
      1/2      teaspoon  nutmeg
      1/2      teaspoon  cloves
      3/4           cup  brown sugar
   1                cup  pumpkin puree -- homemade or store bought
   2              large  bananas -- over-ripe
   2                     eggs
      1/2           cup  Greek yogurt
   1                cup  pecans -- toasted and coarsely chopped, optional

A moist, light and fluffy pumpkin banana bread with Greek yogurt that
is perfect for cool fall days and pretty healthy as well.

Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
Total: 1 :10

Mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger,
nutmeg and cloves in a large bowl.

Mix brown sugar, pumpkin puree, bananas, eggs and yogurt in another large bowl.

Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients followed by the pecans.

Pour the mixture into a greased 9x5" loaf pan.

Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until golden brown and a toothpick
poked into the center comes out clean, about 60 minutes.

Review: I had one overripe banana, and a can of pumpkin that wasn't
doing a lot on the shelf, so I made this bread this afternoon. Since
I only had one banana, I added an extra 1/2 cup of pumpkin. The
texture is very nice, and the flavor quite good. I think I lost a bit
of sweetness due to having only one banana, so I drizzled a bit of
honey over the slice. That made it perfect.

Review: I made this last night and it turned out really well! It
makes a large, beautiful loaf, just as you show. I want to try the
applesauce variation, too. I did reduce the amount of cloves to 1/4
tsp., but that is just a personal preference. Very nicely spiced
loaf. Thanks for a new recipe I will be making again.

Review: So good. The bread alone is not super sweet which I love. I
also appreciate the lower calories. Will be making the leftover
slices into French Toast this weekend.

Review: Made a half-batch of this (low on kabocha puree; tiny
Japanese oven) with walnuts and it turned out great. Really enjoying
the healthier bread recipes you've been posting!

Question: Is it necessary to use the wheat flour? Will using all
purpose flour only change the way it turns out?
Reply: You can easily replace the whole wheat flour with the same
amount of all-purpose flour. Enjoy!

Review: I have made this multiple times and it comes out perfectly!
It is a beautiful loaf. Could it be that those having difficulty are
overmixing the batter? I find that mixing only until everything is
well blended, with a spoon, then let the batter rest while the oven
is preheating. It's light and fluffy when I pour it into the baking
dish. This is my favorite quick bread recipe. Thank you!!

Review: Very tasty loaf, Kevin. I doubled the recipe because I was
certain we'd want more than one loaf and I was right. We rent and our
range doesn't always produce consistent temperatures and I had
problems with the tops browning too much while the loaves were moist
inside, so covering them w/ foil helped a lot. A friend has already
asked for the recipe and I'm sure she'll sign-up to receive your
yummy recipes. Thanks ever so much.

Question: Could you use non-fat milk instead of greek yogurt?
Reply: Sour cream would be a better substitute than milk here.

Review: Been making this pumpkin bread since you first posted in 2012
and made it again today. It's a family favorite at Thanksgiving and
Christmas. I cook pumpkins around Halloween and freeze the flesh for
various pumpkin recipes, several from your blog. I like to make the
bread, wrap in foil, and freeze so that I don't have to bake at the
last minute during holiday season. It holds up very well. I thinks
it's delicious without the caramel sauce. Sometimes I spread some
cream cheese on it for breakfast.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.closetcooking.com/pumpkin-greek-yogurt-banana-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 244 Calories; 9g Fat (32.9%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
44mg Cholesterol; 242mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1016