Our Favorite Buttermilk Biscuit

Wed, 14 Oct 2020 19:46:26 -0700
v120.n041.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                      Biscuit, Our Favorite Buttermilk

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Posted

      1/2           cup  butter -- frozen (1 stick)
   2 1/2           cups  self-rising flour
   1                cup  chilled buttermilk
                         Parchment paper
   2        tablespoons  butter -- melted

After baking hundreds of biscuits, our Test Kitchen landed on this
winning recipe for Our Favorite Buttermilk Biscuit. This no-fail
biscuit recipe will impress new cooks and old pros alike.

Hands-on: 25 Mins
Total: 50 Mins

Preheat oven to 475F. Grate frozen butter using large holes of a box
grater. Toss together grated butter and flour in a medium bowl. Chill
10 minutes.

Make a well in center of mixture. Add buttermilk, and stir 15 times.
Dough will be sticky.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly sprinkle flour
over top of dough. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough
into a 3/4" thick rectangle (about 9 x 5"). Fold dough in half so
short ends meet. Repeat rolling and folding process 4 more times.

Roll dough to 1/2" thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2" floured round cutter,
reshaping scraps and flouring as needed.

Place dough rounds on a parchment paper-lined jelly-roll pan. Bake at
475F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with melted butter.

For Pillowy Dinner Rolls: Cut in 1/2 cup cold shortening instead of
cold butter. You'll get a soft biscuit that stays tender, even when
cool. Plus, shortening has a neutral flavor that will complement
anything on your dinner plate.

For Sweet Shortcakes: Add 2 Tbsp. sugar to the flour, and replace
buttermilk with heavy cream. The sugar lends the biscuits a subtle
sweetness, and the extra fat in heavy cream gives them a crumbly
texture like shortbread. They're the perfect base for shortcake desserts.

For Crunchy-Bottomed Biscuits: Warm a cast-iron skillet in the oven,
and spread a bit of butter in the skillet before adding the biscuits.
The bottoms will end up crunchy and golden brown and provide a sturdy
base that holds up to a smothering of sausage gravy.

For Pickle Biscuits: Why didn't we think of these sooner? Stir 4
Tbsp. drained dill pickle relish into buttermilk before adding to
flour mixture. Split baked biscuits, and top with ham and mustard for
the World's Best Ham Sandwich! We promise.

Review: It took me 3 try's but they finally came out perfect. I used
a large cutting board instead of parchment paper. I find that when
you place them touching each other in the baking pan they rise
perfectly. Hope this works.

Review: Yes, 475F! Professional bakers use that temperature to MAKE
the biscuits rise higher.  One professional I talked to said most
people handle the dough too much. Just dust it with flour and go
straight into pressing it into a 1/2" disk. Be sure to put it on the
center rack and do not overcook it. (Just until it is light brown.)
True oven temperatures sometimes vary. Watch it to see what time is
best for yours. (The professional told me to bake mine 12 minutes,
give or take a few.)I use a silver-colored Air Bake cookie sheet
instead of a Jelly Roll pan.  You have to be careful taking them out
or they will slide off of the pan, but the bottoms don't burn as
much. If you use a dark non-stick pan, be sure to lower the baking
time.  Dark pans bake hotter and faster.Also, the only time parchment
paper has burned for me was when I put too wide of a sheet on my pan
and the overhang burnt. I hope this is helpful for you!

Review: With a convection oven, I bake at 425F for 10 minutes.  475F
is too high a temp in my opinion.  Overworking the biscuits could
cause them to not rise.

Review: I had the same problem. Simply add small splashes of
buttermilk in until the mix comes together. Be sure not to add too
much though, or your dough will become soppy!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/our-favorite-buttermilk-biscuit
Yield:
   "12 to 14"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 185 Calories; 10g Fat (48.8%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
27mg Cholesterol; 450mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat.

NOTES : 2020 - 0201