Feta Fry Bread

Thu, 03 Dec 2020 16:24:57 -0800
v120.n046.8
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Bread, Feta Fry

Recipe By     : Joanna Cismaru
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Side Dish

                         Dough
   1                tsp  sugar
   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- 1 pkg
   1 1/4            cup  water -- lukewarm
   4               cups  all-purpose flour
      1/2           tsp  salt
                         Filling
   2               cups  feta cheese -- crumbled
                         vegetable oil for frying

Feta Fry Bread a.k.a. "Langosi cu Branza" - a traditional Romanian
popular street food. Delicious fried dough filled with feta cheese
that's a favorite at my house and one of my most requested snacks!

Note 1:
To freeze extra dough, form the dough into big pucks and freeze
uncovered on a tray. Once fully frozen, about 1-2 hours, wrap them
tightly in plastic wrap or foil and it will last for about 1 month.
Dough can also be stored in the fridge in an oiled freezer bag. It
will only last a few days so be sure to use it quickly.

Note 2: Always check the expiration date on your yeast and make sure
it hasn't expired. All your yeast products whether it's in a jar or a
package should be stamped with a "Best if Used by" date. Always make
sure you check this date, even when you purchase the yeast, who knows
it could have been on the shelf past its expiry date.

Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 45 mins
Rise: 2 hrs
Total: 2:55

In a small bowl mix the sugar, yeast and water. Let it sit for about
15 minutes until the yeast gets bubbly.

In the bowl of a mixer, add the flour, salt and mix. Add the yeast
mixture and using the dough hook mix it for about 5 minutes. The
dough will be quite sticky and elastic.

Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Keep in
a warm spot and allow the dough to double in size, anywhere from 1 to 2 hours.

Heat about 1 cup of vegetable oil in a large frying pan.

While the oil is heating up, cut the dough into 8 equal pieces. You
might need to oil your hands, so the dough doesn't stick to them.
Roll out each piece into a circle that's about 4" in diameter. Add
1/4 cup of feta cheese in the middle and bring up the sides of the
dough and form into a ball, covering up the cheese. Roll out the ball
with cheese so that it's about 6 inches in diameter. The cheese may
stick out a bit, but that's OK.

Fry one piece of dough at a time, on both sides until golden, about 3
min per side checking often to make sure it doesn't burn. You'll
notice as it fries the dough will bubble up.

Repeat with remaining dough pieces.

Serve warm and enjoy!

To keep your yeast fresh and longer lasting, unopened yeast packages
or jars should be stored in a cool or dry place such as your
cupboard. However, you can also store your yeast in the fridge or
freezer. If you do store it in the freezer and need to use yeast for
your baking, make sure you take out the amount you need and let it
sit at room temperature for at least half hour before using.

Once your yeast package or jar has been opened, you must refrigerate
the yeast or freeze it in an airtight container.

One thing to remember about your yeast, is that it is a living
organism and over time it will lose activity, even if you've never
opened the jar or package. So if you don't bake often, buy the
smaller yeast packages rather than a big jar of yeast.

Cal 390, Fat 15g, Carb 50g, Sod 567mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 12g

Qestion: I'm salivating just reading this recipe! However - I am
allergic to yeast. If I use a soda-based bread recipe, will the rest
of the taste and frying still work?
Response: Hmm...that's a good question. So if you want to skip the
yeast, I would add some baking powder instead, and then follow the
recipe as instructed. Let me know how it works out for you.

Review: Memory lane. We called them 'Placinta " stuffed with mashed
potatoes, or sauerkraut, or some green weed we harvested on the
street maybe called "loboda". I'm whipping up a batch this
afternoon... thanks for the memories and a reminder to make.

Question: Sadly, my family does not like feta cheese! Could you
recommend other cheeses that would work too? This sounds delicious!
Response: You could probably use a number of cheese, as mentioned
ricotta would work, even mozzarella would be great.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/feta-fry-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 332 Calories; 9g Fat (23.8%
calories from fat); 12g Protein; 50g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
33mg Cholesterol; 555mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
Meat; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1203