Plum Pudding

Andreas Wagner <andreas.wagner@wanadoo.fr>
Mon, 14 Dec 2020 10:48:17 +0100
v120.n048.7
Hi Reggie,

First of all, thank you for your tireless work on the bread-bakers
list - even though I don't often comment or post, I read every e-mail
that comes my way!!

I read the recent recipe for plum pudding with interest. The recipe is
similar to one I have been using for years, where butter is
substituted for the suet which is traditionally used in plum
pudding. It does make for a lighter pudding, but one which won't keep
as well. If any readers have never made or eaten plum pudding - please
give it a try, it's totally delicious!!

That said, plum pudding (or Christmas pudding as it's also called in
the UK) should be eaten hot, served with brandy butter and/or custard
or cream. Leftovers may be fried and served for breakfast the
following morning, or crumbled and mixed into vanilla ice cream, or
simply re-heated again. I find that smaller puddings are more
desirable as they are very rich, so I tend to cook mine in 1pt pudding
basins or bowls. They can be kept for some time, well wrapped, in a
cool and dry place. Just steam them again before serving them. I have
cooked them in wide mouthed Mason or Kilner jars with the lids on, so
they are canned and keep without drying out. For re-steaming the lids
need to come off. I've also steamed them in the pressure cooker - less
steam in the kitchen and no need to top up with boiling water. 60 to
90 minutes depending on the size of the pudding is usually sufficient.

Happy baking, stay safe and healthy and enjoy!

The inside view on life and holidays in Languedoc:
www.midihideaways.wordpress.com