Easy Cornbread

Thu, 03 Dec 2020 14:58:30 -0800
v121.n002.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Cornbread, Easy

Recipe By     : Joanna Cismaru
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

   1 1/4           cups  cornmeal
      3/4           cup  all-purpose flour
      1/4           cup  sugar
   1               tbsp  baking powder
   1                tsp  baking soda
      1/4           tsp  salt
   1 1/3           cups  buttermilk
   2              large  eggs -- lightly beaten
   8               tbsp  unsalted butter -- melted

This Easy Cornbread is your newest counter top staple with its crispy
edges and soft inside. It's good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner as
either an accompaniment to some hearty, meaty meals or devoured all
on its own with a bit of butter and honey. We get our rich color from
cornmeal, which lends us the flavor that the bread is named after!

Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 25 mins
Total: 30 mins

Preheat the oven to 425F degrees and place a large cast iron skillet
inside to heat it while you make the batter.

Combine the batter: In a large bowl whisk the cornmeal, flour, sugar,
baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl whisk the
buttermilk, eggs and melted butter, reserve 1 tbsp of butter, this
will be used to grease the skillet.

Reduce the oven temp: Carefully remove the skillet from the oven then
reduce the oven temperature to 375F degrees.

Bake the cornbread: Coat the skillet with the reserved 1 tbsp of
butter. Pour the batter in the skillet and place it in the oven. Bake
for 20 to 25 minutes until firm. Cool for 15 minutes before serving
with butter and honey.

NOTES: Either a 10 1/2" or 12" skillet will work.
Storage: Once the cornbread has cooled completely wrap it in aluminum
foil or plastic wrap. It will stay fresh at room temperature for up
to 3 days. You can also refrigerate it for up to 6 days.

Freezing: Wrap the cooled cornbread tightly with aluminum foil or
plastic freezer wrap, then place it in a freezer bag and freeze for
up to 3 months.

Reheating: If you froze the cornbread, thaw it out at room
temperature for about an hour, unwrap it then transfer it to a baking
sheet or loaf pan and bake for about 5 to 10 min at 350 F degrees or
until heated through.

Cal 247, Fat 12g, Carb 29g, Sod 221mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 5g

Review: I have to tell you this is the first time I have found what
we call Southern Cornbread. Why? Because it has more corn meal than
flour. Nearly all recipes I have seen have it reversed. The only
thing I did differently is that we coat our cast iron skillet with
bacon grease instead of the butter. LOVED this recipe. We in Texas
love a good cornbread recipe. Thanks

Review: I made this recipe tonight because I was in the mood for corn
bread. I never came across a recipe that I would say "I will make
this again" ... that's until I tried your recipe. It was delicious.
My husband and son absolutely loves it. This will definitely be my go
to recipe from now on. As a matter of fact, it's pasted on my clip
board. Thank you so much.

Review: I would love to try this but don't have a cast iron skillet.
Do you havae tips to bake it successfully without, besides buying a
skillet! I've made many that are just okay.

Review:  I tried this recipe with Indian cornmeal and it has turned
out to be the best cornbread I have ever had.. soft, crumbly and
delicious.. and light as a feather!! As a matter of fact, it is way
better than any cornbread I have had anywhere in the US during my
travels.. so thank you.

Review: Loved this cornbread, so moist and delicious!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/easy-cornbread-recipe/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 227 Calories; 11g Fat (43.0%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
68mg Cholesterol; 376mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 1203